Tipping - yes or no?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Am I meant to or not? As I'm pretty low on finances at the moment I'm loathe to tip. I think it's meant to be the exception rather than the rule to show thanks for GREAT service. Am I wrong and just tight? Who do and who don't you tip? Thanks for the guidance. I need your answers before I next set foot inside the hairdressers!

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I only ever tip for exceptional quality when I'm eating out ... and the papergirl/boy at Christmas.

I give the waiter/waitress that predominately served me 10% of the meal cost - and £10 for the paperboy/girl.

As my cousin cuts my hair ... well shaves my head to hide my bald patch ... there's no need to tip, I just pay her market price.

homara

Sep 4, 2009
I always used to tip my hairdresser, restaurant waiter, taxi driver etc etc. Stopped doing this, however, a couple of years ago. I felt embarrassed initially but don't even give it a thought now. There were several reasons for my deciding to stop all tipping...a) worked out the alarming annual cost of this b)it had simply become an expected habit and had nothing to do with whether or not I'd recieved excellent service c) felt that if the service -givers salary was so poor, this should be addressed by the employer and not me d) learnt that the people I was tipping often had considerably higher salaries than my son who happened to be working incredibly long hours to support himself. Decided I'd do better to support him with a little extra (he was far more appreciative than many of those I used to tip and, more importantly, never took that little extra for granted)!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Homara, I think I'm with you on this one. All of your points (although I don't have a son!) rang true with me. Right, I shall only ever tip for exceptional service and won't feel guilty about it anymore. In fact, I remember once a waiter asksing me if I was intending to tip him as he was coming off duty and wouldn't get the tip unless I did it now - even though I was half way through the meal and nowhere near finished. Guess what? I didn't tip him and complained to the manager about his conduct.