IPhone 3G Cracks?

draperm25

Dec 3, 2009
Hi All,

I purchased an White iPhone 3G on the 19th September 2008 for £399.99 from my local O2 Store on PAYG.

After around 6-8 months i noticed some cracks coming on the white backing and thought that this was due to wear and tear, even tho my iPhone has been babied and treated like a king lol, i take it out of the case everyday to clean it, and i havent dropped my iPhone once.

I was getting so annoyed with the cracks afte paying so much for this phone i done a google search to see if anyone has had the same problem. Then low and behold, there has been over 1500 post on the macforums and Engadget websites about this problem, and this had happened since the iPhone 3G was launced in july 2008

So i contacted Apple about this problem and they said that there was nothing they could do as i was 19 Days out of warranty but i could pay £146 for a refurbished iPhone. :eek:
So i then contacted Consumer Direct who said that i need to contact O2 as the sale agreement was between O2 and myself and not Apple.

So i sent them a letter explaining all the crack on the phone and i would like a repair or a replacement. This letter was sent on the 4th November 2009 special delivery and they recieved it on the 5th November. I gave them 10 days to reply to my letter but they still havent replied.

So i Contacted Consumer Direct again and explained that O2 havent replied to my letter, so they then passed on my case to my local Trading standards officer. He phoned my today and explained that i need to write a letter of complaint explaining what i want done and that i have sent a letter to my local store but they havent replied on this matter.

Does anyone know what i really should put in this letter as i havent got a clue.

And is it ok for me to take this further by writing to O2 or should i just leave it?

Mark.

draperm25

Dec 3, 2009
Hi Tony,

Let me start by saying you have made an excellent purchase with your iPhone. I had the first gen when that came out, and then i bought the 3G, i could NEVER go back to an old phone now (and when i mean old i mean the standard phones lol) I love all the apps that you can get, love the email and internet. You wont go wrong with you phone.

Well i sent my letter, ill put it on here for you to have a read, its too late to adjust it now ive sent it but, hope its ok.

Mark.

03/12/2009
O2 Customer Relations
Suite N
Arlington Business Centre
Millshaw Park Lane
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS11 0NE

Dear Sir/Madam,

I bought a White 16GB iPhone 3G from your Swansea branch for £399.99 on 19th September 2008. I recently wrote a letter to the Swansea branch of O2 explaining that the phone was not of satisfactory standards and I wish to have a fair repair or a replacement. The store has not got back to me regarding this matter even though the letter was received on the 5Th November 2009 as I sent the letter special delivery. I will enclose a copy of the letter I sent to your Swansea branch and a copy of the signature of the person who signed for the letter and a copy of the original receipt.
After having my iPhone for about 6-8 months I noticed some cracks appearing on the white plastic on the back of the iPhone. So I recently done a search on the internet to see if anyone else has had this problem with their iPhone and it seem to be a common fault with the white iPhone 3G. There are over 1500 posts on the macforums website explaining that this is a common problem with the white iPhone and has been a problem since the iPhone 3G was release with the white backing.

Here are the problems with my iPhone
• 3 cracks in the white plastic between the sleep/wake button and the silver bezel.
• A crack in the white plastic between the simcard tray holder and the silver bezel.
• A crack in the white plastic between the headphone port and the silver bezel.
• 3-4 Cracks in the white plastic near the top left corner of the silver bezel.
• A split in the white plastic surrounding the mute button.
• A crack in the white plastic between the volume up button and the silver bezel.
• A crack in the white plastic between the USB connector port and the silver bezel.
• A 4cm split in the white plastic in the middle of the USB connector port and up the back of the phone.
• A crack in the white plastic between the microphone and the silver bezel.
• The silver bezel at the top right hand corner is coming away from the iPhone.

So I'm writing to you to ask for a fair repair on my iPhone or a replacement if a repair is not possible.

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this letter

Yours faithfully

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That seems fair enough, I don't think you will have a problem now that it is going to the Head Office.

It took me a while to get used to typing on it. I actually bought a stylus, which seems crazy now. My only complaint is the poor o2 3g network coverage - should have waited for Orange.

Tony

draperm25

Dec 3, 2009
well just to let you know tony,

Yesterday at 5.15pm a courier turned up at my door with a box, i opened the box and there was a replcement iPhone, wow cool, i have to send my original iphone back to them, in the jiffy bag they gave.

Well impressed.

Mark.