Consumer Sales Law - underpriced item

nfollows1982

Dec 7, 2009
Hello,

I am in the process of buying a used car and I would like to know where I stand regarding an error that has been made on the initial sales agreement.

The car value is £4895.00.

Part Exchange (Old Car) is £600.00.
Deposit Paid is £900.00.

So £4895.00 – (£600+£900) leaves a balance to pay of £3395.00.

However, when the garage issued me a sales agreement setting out the above financial terms, they have mistakenly listed the balance to pay at £3195.00 (so obviously £200.00 in my favour).

I have not mentioned this to the garage (obviously!!) and I have gone away to sort out the finances on the balance to be paid at the end of the week.

What I would like to know is, at what point does that figure of £3195.00 become legally binding?

If they were to realise the mistake during the course of the week are they entitled to rectify it before I collect the car?

Also, if I make the assumption that they are expecting £3195.00 and go to the garage to pay this balance on Friday, and they then realise their mistake, am I in a position to argue that the mistake is theirs and therefore I am not liable to pay the additional money. (i.e play dumb and say i didnt realise and I've only got £3195.00 to settle the balance)

Thanks very much in anticipation of your help.

Eagle

Jan 8, 2010
It would (unfortunately) probably be regarded as fraud (in the criminal sense) regardless of the effect or non-effect of the contract.