Problems with a worcester 19/25 cbi boiler

pthegas

Dec 13, 2009
I had a Worcester 19/24 CBi boiler installed in 2004. Amongst other problems it has had the heat exchanger replaced 4 times due to leaking seals. It has now leaked again 11 months after the heat exchanger was replaced under a British Gas maintenance contract. British Gas have tested a sample of the water in the system and say it is causing the leaks, and so want to charge me for a power flush and relacement of the heat exchanger for a total of £1500. Worcester Bosch have also tested the water, and say that although the water has problems it shouldn't have caused the leaks to the extent that have occured, but won't admit to any design fault, and won't admit to this boiler having this problem. They have offered a replacement Greenstar 24Ri at a discounted price. (Installation not included). If British Gas are to keep maintaining the system then they will want to power flush the system at my cost (£1,000).

Does anyone know if this boiler is prone to leaks (a number of heating engineers have said it does)? Any advice on how I should proceed?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Who did you originally buy it from you may have a claim against them under SOGA. I also thought that when British Gas took on boilers it also included the risk and cost of any replacements.

Tony

boschboohoo

Dec 27, 2009
hi,these cast iron heat exchangers are known to crack i've had 3 already since 2001 been out to the garage this morning and water all over the floor(so need another one),trouble is the water damages the pcb and other bits inside the boiler,i'm not sure whether to get a new service contract or call it a day with worcester bosch and get a new boiler as these exchangers are not lasting 2 years but they won't admit that they are LEMONS !!!

I had a Worcester 19/24 CBi boiler installed in 2004. Amongst other problems it has had the heat exchanger replaced 4 times due to leaking seals. It has now leaked again 11 months after the heat exchanger was replaced under a British Gas maintenance contract. British Gas have tested a sample of the water in the system and say it is causing the leaks, and so want to charge me for a power flush and relacement of the heat exchanger for a total of £1500. Worcester Bosch have also tested the water, and say that although the water has problems it shouldn't have caused the leaks to the extent that have occured, but won't admit to any design fault, and won't admit to this boiler having this problem. They have offered a replacement Greenstar 24Ri at a discounted price. (Installation not included). If British Gas are to keep maintaining the system then they will want to power flush the system at my cost (£1,000).

Does anyone know if this boiler is prone to leaks (a number of heating engineers have said it does)? Any advice on how I should proceed?

jojo2222

Feb 27, 2012
Dear members
Ihave a Worcester Bosch Central heating boiler 19/24CBi 7 yrs old.
It is leaking water from the base of the unit a drip every 10 secs or so.
Any advice or help would be very much appreciated
Regards
jojo2222