Buying a 3 piece suite. Any recommendations?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
My friend is going to buy a suite (either a 3 piece, or 2 sofa's) and has asked for my advice. I don't really know very much about companies who sell stuff, but I have heard plenty of horror stories of people ordering sofa's from companies, who then go bust leaving them with nothing.

In the current climate, I thought I'd ask if anyone could recommend a company (either online, or high street) who they have had positive dealings with and who offer quality and good service. He doesn't have too big a budget (£1000 - £1500).

Can anybody help?

Jez

Consumer
Jun 14, 2008
Ikea, Ikea, Ikea - cheap and good quality. Plus if you get one of their classic designs you will be able to get cheap new covers forever....

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
Yes I would say Ikea as well , but bear second hand in mind as well. It's really not that difficult to make big throws to go over them or get them re- upholstered if the base is sound.
I have to say that our last sofa came from a familt friend who was going to chuck it out , it's big, it's squishy and I love it!

One big thing, never buy them on the credit schemes without reading the small print really really really closely. I knew someone who was going to buy one on one of those pay weekly schemes. When we read through the bumph, she would have ended up paying 4 times more than if she'd paid upfront, and that was a reputable company :eek:

I would always look at getting one off the shop floor and asking for a discount if you can pay cash and take it away yourself {or if it's a bit shop soiled} and look at some of the big furniture warehouses that do end of lines etc because again you can always get new covers made.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Mine is Laura Ashley and still looks like new after 5 years. If you do buy from them wait until they do a "20% off everything" sale to get the best price.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Thankyou

Thanks to everyone who has posted on here.

I have given him the recommendations on here and he is having "a think about it" this weekend after browsing online. Personally I'd go the shop and at least sit on the things!

Cheers

Ian

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Going to sit on the sofa is an absolute must as you will never know whether or not it is comfortable for YOU until you try it. Of course, there are a number of places that have both traditional and online shops, so that can be a good option.

Ofg course, remember that sofas have around a 400% mark-up...so DEFINITELY ask for a discount!!

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Tell your friend not to even think about buying online until he's been around a few shops! Would you buy a car without looking at a few in real life first? No, well sofas are the same - they are a big purchase and he needs to be aware of the differences in quality - which he won't get unless he does the research.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Off to town!

Hi folks,

After a cajoling phone call (and asking him to view this site and the messages posted on this very thread), he has decided it is perhaps not the best idea to order it online and await delivery, but to actually go and visit the shop at the weekend. A victory for common sense!

So this weekend he is off to Ikea Warrington, as well as several places in Chester to have a look around. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. Apparently he has seen a few online that he wants to investigate further.