Out of Warranty.. my rights?

johnnytuc

Dec 16, 2009
i purchased an epson printer all in one from amazon 13 mths ago, cost of £278.00,
the scanner has developed a fault and cannot be repaired, have i any rights in the sales of goods act that this item should have had a longer life expectancy? and isnt fit for the purpose it was made for?

amazon and epson are fobbing me off say i have had reasonable use out of it!!!....its only had minimal home use i dont run an office!!!

amazon have offered me a £45 voucher...to spend with them!

i reported this fault to epson 2 days after guarentee expired....but they have strict guidlines and say technology isnt infallible.

but when you consider the cost of the unit it should last longer.

johnnytuc

steveveck

Jan 25, 2010
Hi Johny, your comments were interesting, because it relates to my message posted today, regarding EEC 2 year guarantee's. Essentially I understand that whilst in Europe they enjoy a 2 year warranty/guarantee. We have the Sale of Goods Act 1979, which does in fact offer potentially a longer repair/replace or refund option within our Statutory Rights. However, my concern is exactly what answer you have been given, who decides what is a reasonable life, I would say 13 months for home use of your device is not a reasonable expectation. I would expect such a device to last 3 or 4 years at the least.

I'm sorry I dont have an answer, perhaps just more questions, but it does bring into question, whether the 2 yr warranty within Europe provides a more watertight protection rather than a wooly-at - best scheme, which allows manufacturers the chance to try and fob customers off.

moneyback

Dec 14, 2010
uk
hello.

you are totally correct, your product should have lasted a lot longer than 13 months and in fact you are well within your rights to make a claim for this product.

the responsibility lies with the retailer and the period of responsibility is up to 6 years in the uk. you do have to meet the retailer halfway and provide an engineers report stating that the fault is due to a manufaturing defect. once you have this it can be sent to the relevant retailer and a claim can be processed.

what happens then is they assess whether it is cheaper to repair the unit for you or settle with a depreciated credit amount of the original price paid. usually the fee for the report is refunded when the claim is settled by the retailer.

this is something I action every day and is a service I would be more than happy to provide for anyone who has an out of warranty product. my charge is never more than 30 pounds (15 pounds below final payouts of 100 pounds) and usually takes between 2 and 4 weeks. the trick is knowing consumer rights and chasing the retailers every step of the way to get what my customers are entitled to.

if no payout or repair is given I always refund all but 5 pounds (to cover costs/phone calls) of my charge.

please email me with any questions.

remember this: retailers know their customers rights but try to impose their own rules and regulations upon consumers. this is legally and ethically wrong.

many thanks,

moneyback