PS3 Overheating

Jez

Consumer
Jun 14, 2008
I have a Sony PS3 and it gets really hot and then the fan kicks in which is really noisy. This is fine during games, but it really affects my enjoyment of films - I use it to watch DVDs and blu-ray films. Is it a faulty Playstation or is this normal?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I think that this is a known problem with the PS3, which is why there are lots of companies selling PS3 fans to cool them down e.g. Buy PS3 Cooling Fan. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

As the controllers use bluetooth they can be put in cupboards, but then the overheating gets worse but at least you can't hear it.

It should only happen after the console has been on for several hours. If it is happening immediately return it to the retailer NOT Sony. Don't let the retailer fob you off by trying to get you to speak to Sony.

Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Sony recently released version 2.5 of their operating system which, amongst other things, auto powers off the console when not in use. This should help with overheating and also reduce power consumption - well done Sony.

Consume

Nov 26, 2008
One of the key selling points of the PS3 is its ability to play blu ray dvds, if it's affecting your enjoyment you should call Sony.

scrooge

Dec 2, 2008
Wouldn't recomend buying external cooling fans as these can sometimes cause more damage than good.

pkbl44

Dec 3, 2008
It is not normal at all cos sony consoles are quiet towards the 360 which sounds like a tank
try sony direct not where you purchased it from cos Sony are great in customer relations in my opinion towards the crappy retailers.
do not moan to yourself go straight to the source , not HMV or GAME but the one and only
SONY...UK if british........................

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How noisy is the external fan? Is it a case of putting up with extra residual noise to prevent the internal fans kicking in.

Tony

chimp

Apr 23, 2009
I was home for Easter and my cousin told me his PS3 (along with his mates as well) had both died. I asked him about warranty and he explained that it was a few months past its 12 months. Before I thought that's that, but having come here I understand how to advise him now, only hope he has a receipt or bought it on card.

The reason I found out about it was because on April 1st his mate with the other broken PS3 had rang him and said he had gotten a part in to fix his PS3, but tested it on his as well and that it worked great... kept it up for a good 10 mins before unleashing the April fools. heh