after 5 months over £1000 repairs needed

dav58

Dec 21, 2009
hi im new so please be gentle

approx 5 months ago i bought a car from a dealership that was supposed to have had a 136 point check done the finance was sorted out by the dealership and i have subsequently found out that the finance company and the dealership are both the same company although under different names. everything seemed fine but since the cold weather has started i now find that the car wont start in a morning and when it does there is huge clouds of blue smoke that lasts for about 10 minutes also the starter motor has started sticking and 9 times out of 10 wont engage with the flywheel to start the engine so have to bump start it on top of all this the exhaust has started blowing as well so far the estimated bill for repair is in the region of about £500 but this does not include the smoke on start up which as advised by garage could come to well over £1000 to diagnose and repair.

sorry for the long post but my question is can i get the dealer to pay for the repairs as i think i am out of the time limit for rejecting the car outright

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Absolutely, but you need to give them the opportunity to put it right rather than paying yourself and billing them.

Also price paid, age, condition etc are important factor i.e. if it were 20 years old with 200,000 on the clock and you paid £10 you would have no hope.

Tony