XL holiday issue

red

Aug 22, 2008
I am caught up in the XL fiasco.

I booked through a 3rd party travel republic each component of holiday seperate – filghts with freedom flights (ATOL proteected), resort transfer and accommodation.

I was due to go on holiday Tuesday – flights cancelled and travel republic are saying if we cancel accommodation we will lose 100% of cost and wont re-arrange. We cant and wont pay £600 each for new flights to get to accommodation.

They are encouraging me to cancel accomodation which i have not done. They say they will try to get some money back though no suggestion of level i could receive. I personallly feel they want me to cancel and then will keep cash under their T&Cs

It seems we should get money back one way or another for flights. Though credit card capital one saying they wont cover and ATOL are saying claim off credit card.

The accommodation is main issue – as there T&Cs are separate for flights and accommodation.

Am I just relying on travel republics good faith to re-arrrange or refund or do we have some way of claiming this as unable to get to accommodation through the flights arranged through them.

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Hi Red

There is an awful lot of confusion over this. The appropriate body (ABTA? ATOL?) should advise all parties involved about their rights in terms of refunds etc. How much hassle would it be to create a dedicated webpage without trying to find information on the overloaded websites?

Anywho - that doesn't help you Red. I'm really sorry you're stuck in the middle of all this. Firstly, you're unable to claim through your credit card because you paid your money to Travel Republic; a third party. Credit card refunds are only made when you book directly with XL (or it's subsidary companies). On that note, Travel Republic should be advising, if not dealing with this for you - they are your agent!

It sounds as though your holiday was booked as a 'tailor-made' - an industry term for holidays packaged by the agent (as opposed to the Tour Operator). As such your holiday arrangements should be protected by the Package Holiday Regulations 1994. If my memory serves correctly (and do double check), then they have a responsibility to either cancel the holiday with a full refund, or source new flights for you (the difference in price, you will have to pay for). Contact Travel Republic's head office and simply ask. If this holiday is booked as a tailor made, you can wave that in their faces.

If not, then they are being incredibly cruel and greedy. If you do have to cancel, complain until you can recoup the money (they will eventually yeild). Put everything in writing and after four letters, contact ABTA and ask about the arbitration scheme.

So, for your flights - speak to ATOL about a refund and explain that you booked the flights through an agent and cannot claim through your credit card company. For your accommodation. Appeal to Travel Republic's good will. If you must cancel, complain to their Customer Relations department and make it clear that you will take matters further if you have to. You might want to copy ABTA in on your correspondance - they will automatically send a letter to Travel Republic to let them know that they're onto them.

Good luck and do keep us updated!

red

Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for the response, I'm as confused about this situation as I expect several thousand other people are.

Response
"Travel republic closed their phone lines so it is proving impossible to resolve the issue, thier standard response to every suggestion I have thrown at them is as follows:-
All Freedom Flights Ltd bookings are ATOL protected which means you can claim a refund from the Civil Aviation Authority. Further information can be found at http://www.caa.co.uk/XLLeisureGroup.html Claim forms can be downloaded from http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1804/Freedom_Claim_Form.pdf You will now need to make a new flight reservation with a different flight provider. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE TAILOR MADE AND EACH ITEM IS SEPERATE.IF YOU HAVE BOOKED ACCOMODATION AND TRANSFERS WITH US THIS WILL STILL STAND AS NORMAL AND CANCELLATION CHARGES MAY APPLY IF YOU WISH TO CANCEL"

ATOL say claim off credit card in their guidance, credit card says wont cover it. ie flight

Our invoice is from freedom flights which are covered by ATOL

If we cant get to hotel due to flight issue, does credit card insurance cover this??

Travel Republic have not offered alternative flights and as you can well imagine, prices with other providers are ridiculous. They have advised me by email that if I proceed to cancel the accomodation and transfers I will suffer a 100% loss. Profit and not compaasion is definitely winning this race.

It is a 'tailor made holiday'

Where do I stand and how can I recover 'some' of my costs??

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Credit Card Equal Liability

...you're unable to claim through your credit card because you paid your money to Travel Republic; a third party. Credit card refunds are only made when you book directly with XL (or it's subsidiary companies).
Are you confusing this with ATOL protection which is not valid if you book with the airline directly.

You can make a claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act irrespective of who the payment was to.

Tony

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
ATOL say claim off credit card in their guidance, credit card says wont cover it. ie flight
This is outrageous, I would go after Capital One. Say you would like to make a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and would like to speak to their Charge Back Department. If you have a problem ask which Trading Standards Office is their prime authority. See this advice from Tesco Credit Cards: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/financial-services/853-recommendations-tesco-credit-card-customers-who-purchased-xl-airlines-tickets.html

If we cant get to hotel due to flight issue, does credit card insurance cover this? Where do I stand and how can I recover 'some' of my costs??
Most insurance policies do NOT cover insolvency - only the most expensive ones. 'Free' policies with credit cards are unlikely to provide this cover, but worth a check. The amount of money you get back will depend on the terms, which I guess you have checked. If the hotel is transferable to someone else you may be able to sell it with a 5 day auction on Ebay.

I really feel for you and an sorry to hear that you got caught up in this Red.

Best regards,

Tony

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 6, 2008
Dynamic Packaging Protection

This is what your policy needs

Dynamic Packaging Protection enables you to claim back money if you are unable to travel due to one of the companies you have planned an aspect of your holiday with becoming insolvent, either before your holiday starts or whilst you are away.
With an increasing number of people putting together their own holidays, rather than booking through a bonded tour operator or travel agent, dynamic packaging cover is vital. If your holiday is not ATOL bonded you must make sure that you have sufficient cover in place, but be careful, many travel insurance policies do not cover insolvency. etravelinsurance.co.uk covers insolvency as standard under Section O – Dynamic Packaging Protection.

This is from etravelinsurance.co.uk

red

Aug 22, 2008
confused

Must admit am a bit confused.

However, it gets better. worst travel operator

Spoken to ABTA, they tell me:

If i booked flights through travel republic - claim through credit card.
If i booked through freedom flights - claim through ATOL.

We paid all our money to our bad travel company

So i rang hotel up in Tenerife and spoke to manager who was very helpful. She said if travel company ie Travel Republic cancelloed today the accommodation they would charge, wait for it, nothing !!!

However, under travel republics terms and conditions they would charge us a 100% cancellation fee!!

So travel republic would keep our money and pay nothing to hotel - crooks!!!

No wonder they are so keen we cancel.

I have asked hotel manager to confirm this by email.

I have told ABTA the above and not interested their member is acting in this manner as it obides by their T&Cs we signed up for - what a joke. They said they would hope they wouldnt however would not support us as they have not legally done anything wrong. So much for ABTA.

Hopefully there will be a happy ending as hotel manager verbally agreed that if we do not cancel and they receive money from travel republic we can re-arrnage at a convenient time for accomodation with small charge if the time of year is more expensive. Good hotel service

Bad travel agents - hope thread gets indexed and cached pretty quick :D

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
I apologise for that bit of misleading information earlier - I had my wires crossed. Thank you for ironing that out Tony.

Having dealt with Tour Opeartors in the past, they view terms and conditions "more like guidelines than actual hard and fast rules" - Consumer & Legal Affairs Manager for Cosmos Holidays PLC. Have you approached Travel Republic with this new bit of information from the Hotelier? Although they have got you by the short and curlys in respect of their T&Cs, it'll should be interested to hear their response.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hey Red, this site gets indexed very quickly - xl holiday issue - Google Search. There were people on here from Travel republic within the hour of your posting this - I guess these have Google alerts set. It will be interesting to see if your Google bombing works.

Anyway, it is pretty shocking to say the least that the hotel would give Travel Republic a full refund and pass nothing on to you. The hotel booking services that I use generally have a 24 hour cancellation clause, not ten days!!! I am guessing Travel Republic have the same with the hotel you have booked.

I hope this works out and you should make sure that Travel Republic do pay.

Tony

R

Redsy

Travel Republic Holiday Nightmare

Well finally got through to travel republic and sales staff tried to help though gave misleading information saying at first that I could transfer accomodation cost 100 % to another holiday. When i said i would do this though the information i had infront of me said different she asked manager and came back with no you will lose 100%. I asked again why when hotel wouldn't charge and I had email confirming this - she couldn't answer. Which conflicts the statement they have made saying they wont profit from this.

I asked to speak to manager, they refused - too busy :rolleyes:

I aksed that I was given clear guidance on what would happen if I cancelled, couldn't give it, only that they would try and get some money back.

Then to round things off i looked at CSR (which is a support ticket) and they tell me
"We are sorry that your holiday has been affected by the failure of the XL Leisure group. Your accommodation (transfer, parking, car hire ) has been cancelled in accordance with your instructions........."

I specifically told them i didnt want to cancel as they had not clearly explain and quantified what would happen, though they did anyway. The operator who i spoke at Travel Republic read the ticket and confirmed a mistake had been made.:eek:

I have saved screen dumps of support tickets just incase they want to try and get rid of evidence:)

The best she could do was issue a support ticket to customer services asking them to contact me. I shall not hold my breath.

I hope am proved wrong and will comeback and say so if it is the case. However, it seems very much like Travel Republic are going to try to take our money and pay the hotel nothing. This type of thing sickens me.

If Travel Republic continue to go down this route i will make sure they pay the hotel as i have not cancelled and re-arrange direct with the hotel as they have agreed to do so.

The hotel obviously values customer service whereas Travel Republic appear to be looking for a quick buck. Travel republic will lose a client that had used them over and over.

Thanks TB for your help!!

Looks like it is Costa del sunbed for me. :(

U

Unregistered

Dynamic Packaging Protection might not help

I've just been on the phone to etravelinsurance.com, and found that their Dynamic Packaging Protection actually won't cover airlines going bust. It covers hotels, ferry companies, and coach companies, but not the thing anyone's really worried about.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I'm so sorry that you've been affected by this but it sounds like you are doing everything right in trying to get the situation sorted. Do make sure you keep notes of all phone calls with dates, names of person spoken to etc, as this makes it much easier if it gets as far as legal action. I hope you manage to get it resolved.

U

Unregistered

Me too!

Red
We are in the same position. EXACTLY!!! I am trying to get my credit card (Morgan Stanley) to help me out but I am getting the same crud from Travel Republic. Can you please help me and tell me how to do a 'screen dump' of the CSR's??????

I am so sorry for you as I know exactly how you are feeling. We stand to lose £1600 total. Atol are refunding our flights (freedom..same as you)

I'd love if we could stay in touch with this. Any help I get I will send to you and if you wouldn't mind doing the same???

Regards
Debbie

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Red,

I work for Travelrepublic and we are working as fast as possible to resolve issues following the demise of the XL Leisure Group.

Our stance on all combinations of booking type, can be read here on the FAQ section of our website. I cant post it here because I am a new user, although it would be of help.

I am sure I can assist you, so if you would send me a private message with your booking reference, I will investogate further.

Steve

C

Cate

Travel Republic

I also booked a whole package with TravelRepublic 5 months ago - was due to travel on Saturday - just 1 day after collapse of XL - we were going to Kos with 2 Freedom flights and a pre-paid voucher and coach transfers, worth over £850 - all paid by visa credit. Travel Republic could not be contacted at all by phone, I stayed glued to my computer and landline and mobile phones for 14 hrs a day - till yesterday, when I got so hungry I had to take a break and cook something!!!! Travel Republic booked my accommodation thru Medlife Ltd - and they also told me I had to cancel and won't get my money back. I managed to get the Hotel Ionikos in Kos phone number and the owner asked me if we were coming - she said the room is still there for us till 28 Sep - why don't we fly with Easyjet to Athens and get a ferry?? She said she got no money from Travel Rep - whilst they told me the voucher is ready paid otherwise the hotels would also have gone bust - the liars!!! I tried to get alternate flights from 13 airports (I live in Yorkshire) but the only 2 flights - Olympic Airlines in Gatwick!!! wanted over £900 each - just for the flights - then we would have paid again as the Hotel Ionikos said she will charge me on a daily rate!!!! The whole tailor-made holiday was paid in full by June, the visa card said it's not their fault and I should claim from Atol, (but I said I will only get flights back!!) but they had the cheek to say you're lucky you will get something. They also said you are lucky you're not abroad, but we wouldn't have minded, at least we would have got the holdiday and as we're both early retired, time is on our side!!! I told TravelRep I paid for a holiday and got nothing at all, I paid for a service, they have been sitting on my money for over 5 months, and they didn't deliver, all they said was they were sorry, but cancellation charges apply!!! I also told them I didn't want to cancel holiday, it wasn't in my interest, but anyone I know who booked through a travel agent in shop went there with their documents and got a transfer to another holiday without paying extra!!!! So who are they kidding??? I will certainly not book online again, they can whistle, I have threatened them with court action, so I will see what they say. Any more advise please welcome. I wrote letters to visa mint, Travel Republic and Transpennine express (we also lost 2 train tickets Hull to Manchester Airport) also paid by visa credit - because they were advance tickets and non-refundable. Can't get anywhere by phone or email, so had to resort to writing letters again!!!!! What a sham - how are these agents allowed to set up a travel company and ruin our holidays???

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Cate, as with Red, please private message me your booking reference and I will get it sorted.

I am not at work now, and am out of the office in the morning, but can check for you tomorrow afternoon and get you a reply.

Thanks for posting the link Tony. Cate, this is the bit that refers to you. I need to look at your booking and see how much of this has been done.

Cancellation charges for linked hotel / transfer / parking / car hire bookings

In general, our standard agency terms of business and the booking conditions of the Travel Provider will stand and normal cancellation terms will apply if you need to cancel your original hotel / transfer / parking / car hire bookings.

However, we will liaise with the original Travel Providers on your behalf to minimise any cancellation charges. Please raise the necessary CSRs as soon as possible to give us the best possible chance of reducing your cancellation charges.
I think I have found your booking, but the hotel is not with Medlife, but another accommodation supplier. So wont comment on what has/has not happened yet.

Send me the ref by private message, and I will investigate for you.

Steve
TravelRepublic

C

Cate

Hi Steved- re message on Forum - re cancellation charges

Are you to tell me that because Travel Republic has cancelled on my behalf I am to incur more charges - besides losing the original accommodation money?? Please tell me I got this wrong!!! That would be a travesty if because we haven't turned up at the hotel we incur more charges!!!! I have never known such a shambles - I thought I was going to celebrate my 60th on Sunday, got everything organised, and instead this has caused me so much stress I don't think I will ever take a flying holiday again and believe me we have had a few and done many Greek Islands!!!! Thank you for reading my complaint - I hope you can do something about it tomorrow (Thursday) Cate

C

Cate

I agree with you Red - the same thing happened to me

Travel Republic had told me my booking is null and void with the hotel, but I rang the hotel in Kos direct and the owner asked me if we were coming as the hotel room is still empty and waiting for us!!!! She asked if we were flying to Athens with easyjet like other guests must have done (easy said if you live near Gatwick and are prepared to pay their prices) - but I said we haven't found anything - we even tried to fly with Olympic airways to Bodrum and then take a ferry - but they were slapping a £75 fuel surcharge and altogether we would have paid £900 each!!!! I will not be ripped off - and then - because TravelRepublic have not paid the hotel yet (we have the voucher to say we're paid up so we won't be charged again) then the hotel would get the money from TR - and like you say - they are trying to make us cancel so as to incur 100% charges and they keep the money!!! They also told me of course we have paid hotel otherwise the hotels would go bust too!!! Who are they trying to kid??

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I've had similar snags with Travel Republic and won't touch them with someone else's barge-pole. There is a lesson to be had here...Perhaps in these turbulent times, it's worth making the effort to book with established and quality companies who you are quite sure won't be going down the pan!