I bought a car 2 weeks ago off a dealer

U

Unregistered

I bought a car 2 weeks ago off a dealer. He did make it clear to me by telling me the car was a cat C car, also adding to this saying it has been repaired professionally and that he has paperwork to prove that it is roadworthy.

I have had the car checked over after it stated making a loud noise from the front to find the front wheels are bent which makes the car shake which will soon start other problems in the car. One wheel has got an air bubble. The tracking is going. The front wheel is rubbing on the axile which could get hot and blow the tyre. Even the tyre locking nuts were put on the wrong way which could be unscrewed by hand etc etc etc.

After checking the paperwork I received from the dealer I have now realised I have nothing that says the car has been checked and is road worthy. I havent recieved a log book and have been told to wait 4-6 weeks for this, as I am a young girl I feel very intimadated and going back to the dealers house wouldn't be an option.

HELP !

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Did you really buy this from a dealership?? It sounds like you have bought yourself an utter death-trap. It may be worth having it thoroughly checked over by a professional (the AA or RAC) and if it is not in the slightest bit roadworthy...then don't drive it. Your own life is more important than anything else.

When you speak to the AA or RAC, they will be able to give you some no-nonsense, professional advice about what to do next.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I certainly agree with Paul's advice and would add - is there anyone that you can get to go back to the dealer with you? I'm a bit confused about who you bought it from - you say "back to the dealer's house" which suggests a private individual rather than a company? Anyway, if you really can't go back there, write to him/her setting out exactly what is wrong with the car and what you want them to do about it - do you want to return the car? Get a full refund? Part refund?

The Citizen's Advice Bureau has a guide to dealing with problems when you've bought a second hand car - this could be worth a look.

Finally I know this doesn't help you now but for future reference, if you're buying a second hand car it's a good idea to get a mechanic to go and look at it before you buy it. The RAC provides this and other useful services: info at Car history report and vehicle data check available from RAC

christophe

Apr 7, 2010
i bought a second hand car just b4 xmas,within 5wks realised wasnt running right,got in touch with seller(nearby auto dealer)he said he only gave 1month warrenty but his mechanic would do @tradecost,i paid £60 for new sparkplugs which didnt fix prob;took back yest,now told gonna cost £500 st least cos needs new pistonrings,all needs car longer than the 3days agreed,need car for my job,but more important dont think i should have to pay,any advice much appreciated christophe