Broken Sofa...

Matt_Bromsgrove

Jan 6, 2010
I purchased a Sofa from a local furniture shop on 27/7/2009 and have since had some problems with it.

After only a day or two we noticed that where the sofa joined (with 2 simple clip on bits of plastic) was broken so it easily split, however, we didn't see this as a massive problem as its rare (if ever) enough pressure is put on one side of the sofa for it to come away from the other. More importantly, over the past week or so we have also notcied that a wooden join underneath the fabric of the sofa has come away losing approx. 1/3 of the support on half of the sofa making it 'sink' on the arm side.

Do I have any right in asking for a replacement on this purchase? The signed reciept, which I still have, states that -

"Once a clear signature reciept has been obtained on delivery for safe reciept of goods without damage, no responsibility is accepted for damage caused during further use".

Does this disclaimer remove any rights I have? I've read that purchased good should last for a resonable time, is less than 6 months resonable for a £615 sofa?!

Please help!!

Thank you,

Matt.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Matt,

Just spotted this. Have you seen this - Consumer rights when buying a sofa | Consumer Information

You cannot ask for a refund you need to give them the opportunity to fix it. When it is less than six months from the original purchase the burden of proof lies with them i.e. they need to prove that it wasn't faulty when they delivered it to you

Tony