faulty HP laptop pavilion 9500 dv

ARK

Jan 9, 2010
I bought an Hp Laptop (Pavilion dv 9500) from Comet store 20 months ago for £999.99 and four months ago it crash first time, since that time my laptop was three times in service, they already twice replaced motherboard. Everything indicates I bought a laptop with faulty graphic card. During My research on the internet I found Nvidia statement (w.nvidia.com/object/io_1215037160521.html]NVIDIA Provides Second Quarter Fiscal 2009 Business Update[/url] ) which confirming my suspicions ( my laptop is equipped with faulty Nvidia 8600 graphic card ). Problem with those laptops is wider described on Hp forum :
h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/dv9500/tg-p/board-id/Display
Hp forum tells me that is not just me having that problem with those kind of laptops, and this problem is quite common. Unfortunately as I found out on Hp forum there is no way to fix this problem permanently and I can expect further problems with my laptop. When I was baying this laptop I wasn`t aware about this problem . My laptop is still on extended guarantee .
My questions are :
- what are my rights in this case
- how many times they can fixing my laptop
- and what I can do to sorted this problem out, maybe I can demand replacement or refund ?
Can anyone help please .

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Remember the warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and the terms of the warranty will be in the small print.

It is generally accepted that you have to give a retailer (i.e. not HP) the opportunity to fix you laptop at least three times before demanding a refund or replacement.

Paul Goodhead

May 31, 2011
Desperate, almost in tears, with all my work on the laptop, I could not get it to display anything, even tried external monitor.

ive been around the laptop scene for years and been hit with problems
with laptops that i have been able to fix but i had tried everything i can
with this one. Anyway got it fixed in Harrow by ww.first4laptops.com

turned out to be the video gpu chip scrambled. Left it on the sofa all night, got overheated.

Works as good as new for £129, much less than a new motherboard anyway even if I could get hold of one.

Was very worried might need new mobo but could not source one anywhere.

many thanks to ww.first4laptops.com for simply doing what you do.

One of my late father’s most profound pieces of advice was that “If you die with a debt, you’ve made a profit”.
Thanks to you guys, I have a debt of gratitude to all of you in the workshop.

I am celebrating with a drink, cheers.