Mobile Phone Fault (After 6 Months)

Rose010

Jan 11, 2010
Hello,

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I purchased the Samsung Tocco SGH-F480 on Pay As You Go (Sim Free) from Play.com at the beginning of May 2009 for £199.99. In late December 2009, the phone started to develop a number of faults, the most significant one being continuous freezing of the touchscreen.

I contacted Play.com via telephone, after seeing very little information on their website about returning faulty goods (after the 28 day period). I was told by Play.com that I needed to contact Samsung to arrange repair of the handset, under the terms of the manufacturer's warranty.

As instructed, I contacted Samsung to arrange repair of the handset. I was given a repair reference number and told to send the phone to their Regeneris Repair Centre via the freepost address (not insured if lost in post). I queried this and was given another address to send the phone to but advised that the phone would only be insured for loss if I sent it by Special Delivery. I decided on the latter, incurring a £5 charge for my trouble.

The phone was repaired by Regeneris, who returned it to me within 10 days, but unfortunately, the faults with the touchscreen have begun to surface again, rendering the phone unusable.

Given that another repair is inevitable, do I contact Samsung again, pay another £5 to send it by registered/insured post for repair, or can I contact Play.com and ask for either a replacement handset or a refund?

Thanks.
:confused:

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Rose,

I would suggest contacting Play.com and tell them you wish to make a claim using your statutory rights rather than a warranty claim. They will then pay for the postage. This might require more effort than just getting Samsung to repair it again under warranty.

Tony