motherboard warranty help

chili

Jan 12, 2010
hello this is my first post so please be gentle

i purchased a motherboard on april 17th 2007, everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when the top pci-e slot in the board stopped working. so i checked the manufacturers site and lo and behold "Motherboards" have a 3yr warranty, cool i thought i'll get in touch with the company and request an rma. after an email asking for serial numbers etc i get a reply to say my warranty has expired?
Mmmmmm i thought april 2007 plus 3 yrs warranty = april 2010 after pointing this out the company tell me that the serial number on the board determines when it was made and when the warranty starts/ends.
is this right are they allowed to do this i thought warrantys start the day "I" purchase the item

company in question is ASUS

any advice appreciated

thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Chili,

Welcome to the contract.

Remember that the warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and does not replace them. You can make a claim for up to six years from the date of purchase, but the nature of the goods, condition when bought, usage etc affect how long it is reasonable to expect something to last. Not 100% about motherboards, but 3 years seems reasonable assuming you bought it new and haven't had it on for three years while overclocking it. So you can make a claim to the retailer about this.

The warranty is actually legal binding as it forms part of the contract of sale and I doubt it says three years from the date of manufacturer. If it did, the advertising could be misleading, but that is another issue.

Hope that helps

Tony

chili

Jan 12, 2010
hi tony thanks for the reply
motherboard was purchased new online from overclockers i still have the reciept and box etc and it has never been overclocked.