New build 3 years old

raycarmody

Jan 13, 2010
Hi,

We have lived in the new persimmon house for nearly 3 years now and have an issue with one of the bathrooms.

Have noticed that the wayrock floor is not level across the width ( 1.6 m wide and appears to be out by 2cm from one end to the other.

When we moved in we just got lino put down and now I am looking to start tiling ..I have noticed this.

Have pulled back the lino and can see that in the floor boards they have hacked them down and as such there are 2 floorboards that have been cut and so no T&G just flat end's ..however these 2 boards are resting on a joist however at most of the length we are looking at an 8 mm gap... is this something i should worry about or look to level when i tile...I assume NHBC would need to be involved if this was going to be an issue..

Thoughts ?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton

raycarmody

Jan 13, 2010
Hi Tony

Cheers for the reply.

Yes that link was very interesting and very worrying ...basically how badly built would you like your house..

Given that in the past 2 weeks had 3 sepperate leaks in the heating system ....and seeing how badly they fitted the pipes....I am checking for a tollerance on tightening the pipes ( you are ok to not fully tighten the fittings).

I have emailed NHBC as the floor is out 20 mill across 1.6 metres..and will see what happens...

A neighbour in the street has recently discovered that they have used a different sized joist in 1 place ....

Ray

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Ray,

I don't think the NHBC will be interested as it is not structural, but would be interested to hear what they say in reply.

Tony

raycarmody

Jan 13, 2010
Hi,

Well they have asked for pictures showing the damage and will be planning at the weekend to put a hole into the floor so I can see if the joists are different sizes or the floor is not resting on them correctly.

Response:
I have now located your policy, for us to consider your claim further please can you complete attached prompt sheet and return to us with photographs showing the gaps where the floor has moved.

The cover under this policy for floors is if they are not supporting a normal load or failing.

Soo..

I expect that they will refuse ..and if that is the case then I would expect that I will need to look at getting it fixed..

But heres hoping :)

Regards

Ray

raycarmody

Jan 13, 2010
Hi,

Have put a hole in the floor and can see that they have put an extra joist in to support where they have cut the floor ( the planks run from the front of the house to the back...but they have put a plank running against this to cover the gap....

The joists that appear to be normal in this house are 20 cm deep ..whereas the additional one appears to be a 21 cm joist..hense the rise...

Now given the discussions we have had about it being structural...would this nor classify..or would they still say ..nope this is still ok?

Regards

Ray Carmody

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I can't see it being defined as structural as it is not IMHO going to affect the structural integrity of the building.

Tony

raycarmody

Jan 13, 2010
Update....

Sent the photos back and NHBC are sending someone out to assess the issue..(end Feb)

So may as you say not be covered ...but here is hoping...

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That's a good result, well done. Although, we shouldn't count the chickens etc.

raycarmody

Jan 13, 2010
HI Tony,

ok guy has been and said that he can see shrinkage with the joists and the reason why we have the large gap is because they have butted 2 joints together as it goes out towards the stair case..and these joists are moving in different directions.

So he said that he was looking for defect which was there ..but he needed to see damage such as cracks in celings below... as there was no damage ..this would not be covered .

If however this was raised within 2 years of the build, then this would have been covered as they would have only needed the defect.

Have had a builder out also ( who could not stop laughing) to estimate and has said that the only way to fix is to raise the floor and put packing ontop of the joists but then we have a step going into the bathroom.

Regards