Sound volume on Blu-ray (sony BDP-S360)

andyc

Jan 13, 2010
Hi all, just looking for some advice on an issue I have with a new blu-ray player.

I bought a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player on 18/11/09. The player was for Christmas, so I did not open and use it until after 25/12/09. On using it I found that the sound volume was extremely low, so low that I have to turn the television up to maximum volume, and even at that level, the volume is still fairly low, also when there are louder scenes I then have to turn the television volume down again, then turn it back up again for 'talking' scenes.

Obviously this is not ideal, and it is not what I expected from a Blu-ray player - I was under the impression that Blu-ray gives superior picture and sound quality. When watching the television or when using my old toshiba dvd player, the sound level is fine (much better than the blu-ray player!).

I therefore assumed there was a fault with the player, so I took it back to the Sonnex Sound and Vision store in Debenhams on 03/01/2010 and asked for a refund. I was told I could not have a refund because I'd had it for more than 28 days and they couldn't give me an exchange because they had no more in stock, so they took the player and said they would check with Sony regarding repairing it.

They rang me the next day and the assisstant said that they had tried it in the shop and noticed the problem with the sound volume so they'd asked the Sony service centre to collect it. The shop have rang me today 13/01/2010 and said that the Sony engineers have tested it and have found nothing wrong with it and it is working as it should.

I have emailed Sony directly about this issue and they have told me that Blu-ray players do reduce the volume output in order to stop distortion, and that if the player is faulty I would have to have it looked at by Sony and that I would be charged a NoFault Found Fee. I have replied stating that I am not happy with this as I was led to believe by their marketing that Blu-ray players give superior sound quality. I've spent £150 on the player, £40 on an HDMI cable and £150 on Blu-ray discs, and seems I have wasted my money as the prduct is not useable, my 3 year old DVD player gives better sound and is more watchable.

Surely I am not being unreasonable in my expectation that I will be able to hear the sound clearly? But the shop, and especially Sony, don't seem to care, and actually seem to be acting as if I'm being unreasonable.

All I originally wanted was a Blu-ray player that gave me better sound quality than DVD (which is what Blu-ray is supposed to do), but now I just want my money back for the player, (and I am also arond £200 out of pocket from the money I've spent on the HDMI cable and the Blu-ray movies, so would like compensation for them).

Has anyone had the same experience from Blu-ray? Can anyone tell me what my rights are in trying to resolve this issue?

andrewp

Mar 19, 2010
Hi,

Here is the solution. You need to change the volume setting on your player to:

Audio Output Priority = HDMI
Audio (HDMI) = 2ch PCM
BD Audio Setting = Direct
Audio ATT = OFF
Dolby Digital = Dolby Digital
DTS = DTS
48KHz/96KHz PCM = 96KHz/24bit
Audio DRC = TV Mode
Downmix = Normal

Kind regards,

Andrew P

Rabbieboy

Nov 19, 2012
Hi,

Here is the solution. You need to change the volume setting on your player to:

Audio Output Priority = HDMI
Audio (HDMI) = 2ch PCM
BD Audio Setting = Direct
Audio ATT = OFF
Dolby Digital = Dolby Digital
DTS = DTS
48KHz/96KHz PCM = 96KHz/24bit
Audio DRC = TV Mode
Downmix = Normal

Kind regards,

Andrew P
Hi Andrewp, sound is perfect now on my Sony bdp 360 too now , many thanks indeed! Can finally turn down sound on surround sound!! Very happy bunny :)