temi

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
London
www.temi.co.uk
I have not bought or sold a property since HIP was introduced. I remember when it was still being discussed, credit crunch was not with us then.

Have you bought or sold a house recently, was HIP a blessing or a hindrance?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Home Information Packs

They are great for first time buyers especially as is reduces the costs for them as the information is provided by the seller.

Tony

red

Aug 22, 2008
The debate with HIPs continues. NAEA and RICS consistently oppose HIPs though have recently inadvertently accepted some aspects are good which came as a suprise.

Alot of the information is 'legal' documentation which means very little to the consumer though is valued in progressing a house sale. There is plans to add a questionnaire to the HIP which will provide practical reading which will be of interest to the home buyer.

HIPs are not perfect though you will see them change over time to become the 'finished' article. The concept is sound in my opinion and will evolve as most things do.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
HIPs are a good idea but my feeling is that the Home Condition Report should not be optional. This is unlikely to change and I think the contents of the HIP are going to decrease further. The Energy Peformance Certificate is required under EU legislation and will have to stay. It will be interesting to see how this pans out...

red

Aug 22, 2008
Yes there does not seem like the HCR will return, even though there are so many assessors hoping and wishing it does.

The future of the HIP will be interesting for sure. If the conservatives win they have said they will scrap though my money is on them renaming, maybe a PIP property infromation pack:p

jennyhicks

Oct 10, 2008
I have been on so many forums conplaining about HIPs but I just can't contain myself and I am going to have to slate them again. I had one done last October. It cost £300 and I got a stupid booklet saying that it costs over £1000 a year to heat the house, which didn't include hot water! Then that lighting bills would amount to £300 per year and electricity an equally as ridiculous figure. I was so worried that it may effect the sale of my house so I photocopied my utility bills for the viewers to see. The HIPs assessor has no clue how much it costs to heat our house etc. Surely showing potential buyers the actual bills would make far more sense. Arghh!!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I wonder what assumptions they make when calculating the bill and are these clearly stated. A friend of mine breaks into a cold sweat if you even mention turning on the heating and others I know have the house like a sauna the whole time. What is normal use? Is there such a thing?

Tony

jennyhicks

Oct 10, 2008
No, there were no calculations on the report, just the figures they had made up. I rang the company that carried out the HIP and all they said was it is worked out on a computer and that it couldn't be changed.

They don't ask at all about how much you use the heating etc so your friend who has the house like a sauna could have the same costs outcome as the cold sweat guy according to them. Ridiculous. I think they work it out on the type of windows, insulation and number of people in the house.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
That does seem ridiculous. One of the reasons I'm keeping my house on the market despite the economic conditions is that if I put it back on after 1 December, I'll have to pay for a HIP - I suspect quite a few folk are doing the same.

jennyhicks

Oct 10, 2008
Has your property been on the market since before September 2007 then or is it because the government has suspended them for a while?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
No, it's only been on since April. We don't yet have home information packs in Scotland - they are being introduced from 1 December, despite vehement opposition and a suspicion that they were developed for a booming housing market and will actually be counter-productive in the current climate. Although it must be said that the Scottish Consumer Council as was supported them, so I assume that their replacement, Consumer Focus, will do so too.

jennyhicks

Oct 10, 2008
That really is ridiculous bringing it in at a time like this. The cost to buy and sell a house now equates to a huge sum even without the cost of the actual house! The figures are showing the lowest amount of house sales since 1959 which has an effect on so many professions, why are they then putting even more people off???