Drip Pricing-On the Beach

easyonthebrain

Dec 4, 2009
:mad: I recently researched flights and a hotel with the On the Beach, selected the flights, found the hotel. It gave me the price as £XXX. The website took me into the credit card page where I inputted my card details. You press the confirm button and I did that. After pressing the button it then takes you into another page bearing in mind I thought that £XXX was the cost I would be paying (Read the T&C's) It was on this page I find out that I now have tick boxes for meals on board and also hold luggage at extra expense nearly £100 more. I decided that I did not want any of it and used the back button to take out my credit card details to find out that I had booked the holiday including all the extras I did not ask for. The extras are selected automatically by the website if the back buttons are used (no warnings anywhere). Is this legal? and has anyone else had experience of this pricing farce. Ryanair are angels compared with this lot. Be aware read T&C's :mad::mad:

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for the warning. I have only ever purchased holidays/flights etc where I have at the last minute been asked whether or not I want to include insurance. So I won't be booking anything with On the Beach. That's terrible. Sorry don't know whether it's legal or not but presume it must be. I haven't heard of them but guess they must be a large operator. Are you able to get your money back by asking for a full refund?

easyonthebrain

Dec 4, 2009
I am in the process of going through Consumer Direct for advice just now and they have referred it to the OFT for consideration. My next step is a Small Claims Action against them. I am in a sticky position just now as if I cancel the holiday I would lose my deposits and 30% over and above that. I am basically sitting and waiting until OFT get back to me. Once I have their advice, I will have a better idea with how to proceed.

A comparable incident happened to me in PC World just prior to Xmas, I was in buying a wireless dongle £19.99 for my mother in law (aged 75) for her new internet access and I saw a 32gb flash memory for sale at £14.99. I took both to the checkout and the total came to £51odds. I questioned it and the store assistant explained that the flash memory had a sticker with from £14.99 instead of a higher price. I declined it at that point and paid for the dongle. No problem and I believe that the customer should always have the right to decline right up until the last moment. I didnt have that right with ON the Beach due to the way that their website operates. Any consumer experts out there with advice please would be gratefully accepted. :confused:

easyonthebrain

Dec 4, 2009
As an update, I have been in touch with Consumer Direct Scotland and they have referred the matter onto the OFT. They in turn have been in touch with their colleagues in Machester. Apparently a similar situation was tried at court and the firm Travel Republic won their case so I wont hold my breath. I might still try a Small Claims in the Scottish Courts to see what response I get there.:(