Need help?

integraR

Jan 14, 2010
Glasgow
Hello,

Sorry for the long story, but i hope it helps to understand my situation. Here we go.

I bought a BMW 318i compact (1999, 75,000 miles) back in Sept 09'. The car was running fine with no problems. After 7 weeks of use (300 miles est) the car overheated and I pulled over to let it cool down. It wouldn't start after cooling down, so I had to tow it home. I booked the car into the garage (small, but reliable) to find out why. They said it was the cylinder head gasket, but would not do the work under the policy. I now realise why they don't deal with warranty work.

I phoned the warranty company and they gave me a garage (national garage) to book it into. I told them evactly what was wrong and asked if they covered it. They said no problem it was covered, just let us know how much it will cost.

It took them a further 5 wks (I phoned every other day to find out if they had started. "We are very busy" was the answer everytime) to strip the car and diagnose the problem.

When they eventually stripped it down, they said there was a number of problems including pistons, water pump, radiator and that there was sand in the engine. I didn't believe this, so I hired an independant inspector to access the car. He confirmed that although there was a paper trail to prove it was serviced regularly, it had not been carried out properly. Therefore leading to the engine overheating (no mention of sand).

It has now been 8 wks since this and the car is still in bits. They will not carryout the work as they "can't guarantee it will be acceptable". I phoned the car dealer that I bought it from and he said he would split the difference with the policy company.

The policy company have now told me that they don't cover pistons and engine damage, but they will cover the water pump (£50). The car dealer is ignoring my calls and I really don't know what to do.

Help!!!!

Thanks in advanced
Iain

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Iain,

I guess the car dealer is ignoring you as he does not want to pay for this. You need to write him a letter by recorded delivery stating that you will give him two weeks to put the problem right otherwise you will start a small claim to recover the cost of the work. Mention that the car is not of satisfactory quality and the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Good luck

Tony