E-victims.org: Haiti story used by criminals

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Whenever there is a major diaster criminals take advantage of people looking for news and donating. SC Magazine story covers the latest attack:

A number of web domains relating to Tuesday's earthquake in Haiti already are live, some of which are likely to be used maliciously, experts said Wednesday.

As has been the case with other disasters, such as Hurricane Katrina, opportunists likely will use the domains to set up fake charity sites used for phishing, Johannes Ullrich, chief research officer at the SANS Institute, told SCMagazineUS.com on Wednesday. In addition, cybervandals may promote fake videos about the disaster, which could be used to trick individuals into installing malware.

As of Wednesday morning, no cyberscams relating to the earthquake, which is believed to have killed tens of thousands of people, had been identified, Ullrich said.

But some domains tied to the event will certainly be used for cybercrime, said Joel Esler, security consultant with intrusion...

Haiti story used by criminals

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
My god, what can you say to this? Horrific. I heard the report today and it was so upsetting. I hope relief teams manage to get out there and do their best for the people.