Packard Bell Laptop

Beckie

Jan 18, 2010
I brought a packard bell laptop back in february 2008 and I still have the receipt and the box. Yesterday the laptop completely conked out and the screen turned itself off, like anybody I went through the turn it off leave it turn it back on again processes and even got a mate to look over it. It seems that the fan has failed causing the laptop to overheat and destroy the graphics card on it which is attached to the motherboard and it may have also taken the CPU out also. I paid £600 for this laptop and believe that it should not only last less than two years based on the amount I paid and the life span of my other laptop which only recently gave up after the power supply wouldn't connect after being soldered so many times at the back (this laptop is around 4/5 years old now), it is exactly the same brand as the new one but i got almost double the amount of life out of it at half the price I paid. I'm at a dead end here as I planned to take this to uni and cannot afford to get it fixed (if it even can be fixed) or buy a new one as I have only just finished paying for this one! :( I just want to know what I can do and what are my rights?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I found out this laptop has the 8600 nvidia graphics card which is reported to be faulty and cause heating problems which is what has appeared to of happened to my laptop.

Laptop config including graphics card: support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=PC06Q00401&g=1400

News on faulty graphics card: w.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1028703/nvidia-g84-g86-bad
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series#GeForce_8M_Series
w.techspot.com/news/30823-all-nvidia-g84-and-g86-chips-faulty.html#comments

Had to remove the first part of the webaddresses otherwise it wouldn't let me post >.>

Beckie

Jan 18, 2010
Hey Tony,
Thanks for the information however I've just been on the phone to 4 different numbers trying to pass the buck around saying this is the warrenty number as they do not deal with my case, and i've just been passed between different numbers before being given back to the original number, should I take it into store and get it done that way? I am at a loss what to do next. Thanks in advance

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes, take it back to the store. I would save time by phoning head office and asking for customer relations.

Tony