'lost' locking wheel nut key

twink20

Jan 18, 2010
Hi I hope someone can help me,

I bought a 2006 Peugeot 206cc from a used car dealer for £7,000 with 34,000 miles on it on 01/12/09. On New Year’s Day I noticed a flat front tyre however the key to unlock the wheel nuts is nowhere to be found. I contacted the dealer who stated they do not sell cars without the wheel nut key and it must be there. After another thorough search of the car I called again and told them it’s definitely not there. He randomly found one in the workshop and sent it to me however it wasn’t the right one.

Now I have to pay £140 to get the bolts drilled out (called RAC out who couldn’t remove them) plus £30 on new ones. The dealer says basically it’s not his problem and won’t foot the bill. Should he be liable to the cost of the removal of the bolts as he sold me the car without the key only one month ago or is it my fault for not knowing about it when I bought it? Also the window washer has stopped working (it worked when I bought it) which he states is due to bad weather and not a mechanical fault, I've checked it’s not frozen.

I cant wait any loger to get it sorted so have booked it in the garage for this week.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sarah

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Sarah,

The problem is that over a month has passed and it is your word against his.

Tony

twink20

Jan 18, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it was month exactly when I first called him about it. he's accepted that it wasnt with the car when I bought it but is uwilling to pay for the bolts to be removed, as he says its the fault of the person who sold it to him and not his, is there no consumer law about all the parts being there when sold unless he had told me about it when i bought it, I feel its a bit unfair having to spend nearly £200 on the car after only one month. It may just be an expensive lesson learnt I guess!

Sarah