Scooter Faults

Gelderlander

Jan 20, 2010
Hi, I'm new to the forum and wouldn't mind some advice :)

In September 08 I bought a new 125cc scooter from a Piaggio subsidary (huge brand), with a 2 year guarantee, for £2600. Issues started soon after, despite regular service.

1. Electrics. A fuse blew while I was on the road (Dec 08). AA replaced the fuse and the garage checked it immediately, but could not find a fault. It was assumed one of many electrical wires may have made contact with the undercarriage.. Fuse and check-up done under warranty.

2. Mechanics (Feb 09). A bolt holding the seat to the scooter disappeared on another journey. Good thing there's a seat lock, or I might have slid off the bike while on the go.. Replaced by the garage under warranty.

3. Electrics (Apr 09). This time the rear brake would not connect to the rear light. Rear brake should be pressed to start the scoot (then a bit of gas at same handle), so I needed to press front brake instead - and it's not fun starting the bike and doing involuntary burnouts. Rear indicators also intermittently not working and a bolt lost from the foot plank. All replaced under warranty.

4. (Aug 09) Manufacturing Defect? On a trip from Manchester to Scotland, the entire front headlight assembly snapped - head light bobbing up and down on a major A road, then pointing up to the sky. Found that the 'chrome look' head light is actually plastic, and the not so plastic bolt to attach it to steering column had knackered it. Again ordered part through warranty.

5. (Dec 09) Asked Scottish dealership to replace rear tyre after 6000 miles, quite normal. Exhaust system needs disassembly to take wheel off, which is quite normal too on a scoot - but exhaust mounting bolt is stuck in a loose position, cannot be removed without cutting it. Entire exhaust system may need replacing after that.. Asked garage to contact manufacturer again, but garage expect this bolt (never touched) is my fault. I never touched it apart form cleaning, and original dealer confirm the parts untouched, not known faulty before.

With a rather major issue every 2 months over the past year and issue number 5 now coming to light, I'm extremely disappointed with the bike. Especially the light dropping off is just amazing. With issue 5 I expect the manufacturer will claim this is all customer damage, despite the service and warranty histories. Before it happened I've asked dealerships what they'd pay for the scooter in current state and was quoted £600-£1200, which is extreme devaluation on a £2600 bike over 12 months.

I'd like the manufacturer to offer more than another warranty repair, as I want a replacement product. Not expecting to trade this one for a new one, but could manufacturer reasonably be expected to - for example - take this bike and give £1500 off a new bike? Do I have any claim at all, or should I cut my losses and avoid this brand from now on? Your thoughts much appreciated, before I go into this battle.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You haven't had much luck with this bike. Are you alone or are lots of people having similar problems?

The Sale of Goods Act states that you need to give the retailer reasonable opportunity to put the situation rights. Reasonable is not defined, but it is generally accepted that it is three times. The problem is this is for the same fault - not five different ones.

You could argue that you have had two problems with electrics and that you have given them reasonable opportunity to fix it and haven't.

If they were to replace it the bike would be like-for-like - i.e. not new. If you ask for a refund they can deduct an amount for usage.

Tony