Vendor reluctant to refund or exchange a washer.

maniasante

Jan 22, 2010
Hi,
I purchased a new washing machine online for my brother in law and his young family from a known vendor on the 7th of July 2009.
Three weeks into it's use, the machine stopped working and cut out. He then rung up the customer support but was told as he was not the original purchaser of the product, they couldn't deal with him.
I called up and explained the situation and was told they couldn't trace my postcode as I live in Eire( they didn't have a problem taking money from my credit card). When I produced my customer order number, I was then told that as I wasn't on the premises where the machine resides, there was hardly anything they could do. In short,they kept fobbing us off till I got over to the UK over the Xmas break and demanded to get a refund or an exchange. I was however told that they have nothing on record for any of the calls and that because the item was purchased in July, I would have to get an engineer call to repair it. The problem though is my brother in law gave up after 2 months trying to deal with this to get another washer. A repair is therefore not an option for me.An engineer called on the 6th of July but on seeing a new machine installed, he advised that we push the management in seeking a refund or an exchange for something else. Has somebody got any constructive advice on how to deal with this situation?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Just to be clear you live in Ireland and bought it new from a UK online retailer. There is an organisation in every EU state to help with this. Costs a bloody fortune and nobody knows about it. Anyway, here is the link - European Consumer Centre Ireland