New user wanting returns advice

Ammer

Jan 25, 2010
Hello,

Just thought I would say Hi, I`ve just joined and looking for advice.

I just purchased a computer online on from PC World on Wednesday and it arrived Friday 22 Jan, I rang up to arrange to return it. The reason I wish to return it,is because the fan in so loud and I left it on for over an hour and it still didn't go quiet, I just cant live with it like that.

I like to watch youtube and dvds but the noise would drive me crazy, its so irritating.

Well, when I spoke to the unhelpful "gentleman" on the phone he said because I`ve switched it on, it is classed as been used, so I cant return it.

I asked if I could get through to complaint's he just said "well this is really, this the best you can get I can`t offer you any more that this"

I haven even connected it to the internet. or added any programmes to it at all, I`ve changed nothing about it.

So does anyone know if this is right?

Is the fact that I`ve switched on the machine make it void from being returned and claiming my money back?

Many Thanks in Advance

AnneMarie

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You don't have to give a reason to return at item. Just tell them you have examined the PC and would like to return it.

Under a distance selling contract, a supplier cannot make refunds subject to the goods being returned unopened in their original packaging. One of the principles of the distance selling regulations is to give you a chance to examine the goods at home, not having had a chance to do so in the shop. It would be impossible for you to do this without opening the packaging and trying the product out. Having said this, you will still be under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods while in your possession, and may be subject to certain instructions such as not to wear shoes outdoors, or remove hygiene seals. But you can never be penalised simply because you did not return the goods in their original packaging.
From: Consumers obligations to return mail order goods | Consumer Information

Tony

Ammer

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for the help Tony.

I`ll try taking it back to the store instead of phoning and get them to refund me there if they will. your allowed to after 14 days after delivery, so they stated anyway.

I`m a bit worried that they still won`t because I sent an email as well telling them I switched it on to inspect it so I`m wondering if they traced the order number and it comes up on their system or something.

I don't know how they can still call it "used" if you`ve only switch it on. It kind of make sense, but seems unfair if you haven't made changes to it.

I`ll let you know what happens,

Many Thanks

AnneMarie

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi AnneMarie,

Just bear in mind that the terms for a return within 14 days are going to be different to your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations which only give you 7.

Tony

Ammer

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks Tony,

I`ve read the attached links as well,

Just to clarify it is 7 days after delivery is it? and not 7 days after I paid for it online?

Many Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is seven days after the day it was delivered, just to confuse everybody.

Tony

Ammer

Jan 25, 2010
Hi Tony,

Just giving you an update about computer being returned to PC world.
I eventually got them to collect it today, just within the 7 days. (Mind you I`m holding my breath until they refund the money back to my card)

I took it to the store yesterday for them to tell me I`ve got to ring up to do it instead, so I then had to lug it back home again. I then rang yesterday to arrange to have it picked up, and I didn't tell them I turned it on this time.

In the meantime, I had an answer to my email I sent to them last Friday, telling then why I didnt want it and that I turned it on ect.., and the women who replyed to the email said that`s fine, just send it back and sorry for the inconvenience. So I suppose I have that email saying it was okay to do that,..

Honestly what a palava,, I`ll let you know if they refund me or not

I dont trust anything they say now..so not relaxing until i`m refunded..

Thank you so much for your very fast reply's Tony, I can believe how quickly you got back to me... You`ve been most helpful

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Happy to help. Make sure you send them a mail stating you want to cancel under DSRs. It is risky to rely on calls and the regs require notice in writing

Ammer

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks Tony,

I just found the DSRs on the Office of fair trading site and I think the email I sent is alright, I hope.

I think it was section 3.26,

Looking through all the sections, it seems like I`m perfectly in my rights to try the computer out as well. I can`t believe they tried it on like that.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Let us know what they say - e-mail should be fine, but it is easy for retailers to deny receiving them and it is difficult to prove that they were sent

Tony

Ammer

Jan 25, 2010
Hi Tony,

I`ve just found out I`ve been refunded for returning the computer, so its all been sorted at last.
I think it may have been a different story if you hadn`t told me I had 7 days instead of 14.

I wonder if its worth complaining as the guy on the phone was quite arrogant and a bit sarcastic when he said, well if you turned it on then its classed as being used.

some other poor soul may believe this and not do anything about it and feel bullied into accepting it.

I only felt confident enough to stand my ground because I was lucky enough to stumble across this site and finding out more about my rights, so think you once more:)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is not uncommon and not necessarily malicious and is more likely to be a training issue. It is frustrating for many though, but at least you got your money back. Well done and thanks for the update.

Tony