I have a question about an insurance replaced laptop warranty repair...

fallon

Jan 28, 2010
Hi everyone!

Hope you can help me with this one. About 18 months ago, local Council contractors caused a major water leak in my sister's house leaving her with a floating laptop. As can be expected, it was trashed. After a long and protracted wrangle over who was to blame for cross threading the radiator connection, the contractor eventually relented and gave my sister an Acer laptop [brand new, in the box] as a replacement. This was 10 months ago.

Subsequently, the laptop developed a host of faults culminating in the hard drive suffering a total failure. Because of this, I reported it to Acer in December 09 but the line died mid-call and I couldn't get through for a while. Christmas happened and it was put to one side for the period.

On the 12/1/10 I called again and completed the warranty booking and booked it in for repair. It was eventually collected by their couriers on the 18/1/10. On the 25/1/10 they emailed me to inform me it was at their repair centre in the queue.

Today, 27/1/10, I received an email from them asking for £309.10 to, essentially, replace the whole machine apart from the plastic case.

On the quote form the date of purchase is listed as 20/1/09. The quote is dated as 27/1/10.

I would appreciate any advice regarding what our rights are here. Especially as we weren't the original purchasers and the fault report was logged with them before the year was up. Does the fact that she was given it as a replacement machine, as part of a settlement of an insurance claim, give any further leeway?

Any help at all would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Fallon,

You were not party to the contract and were not the purchaser, so you are not covered by consumer law. All you have it the warranty or what is left of it.

Sorry probably not what you want to hear.

Tony