Advice on my rights- new kitchen

riki

Jan 28, 2010
Hi,
I'm in what seems like a constant nightmare with my new house and the new saga is regarding the new kitchen and i'd really appreciate some advice.

I ordered a kitchen from homebase in december and it was delivered 4th Jan.
Our extension had to be built so they only got round to starting the kitchen yesterday and when opening the units the builders find that most of the units have damage. We had them stored exactly where the delivery people put them and were in a room we don't use so it is obvious they are damaged in transit.

I also ordered an electric oven and they have sent a gas one. Also they did the same with the hob. We can not get gas pipes to our kitchen easily so we specified this to them when ordering.

I phoned homebase and asked to swop the cooker as it was not what we asked for and thinking that it was in the 30 days since delivery it would be ok. The woman I spoke to was very rude and stated that we must have ordered it and there is nothing they can do.
She also dismissed the fact that the kitchen could be damaged in transit and said that as it was in our house for so long it must have happened here (there is just no way that is the case) and states they won't help with either problem.
I have had to let them start to build the kitchen so understand that that means no chance of them changing their mind on the units.
The cooker is fully packaged as it was left here, so they'd be getting back exactly what they sent out.

The damage is upsetting but we have not had a kitchen for over 3 weeks so our builders can do an ok job at patching it. But the cooker is a big problem as we can't get gas pipes to our kitchen so it is going to cost a fortune to knock through the bathroom (new bathroom!) floor, destroy our plaster work and decoration.

I'm so livid I can't tell you and can't afford to just buy a new one so i'll be without a cooker now.

Can anyone tell me if this is a lost cause?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your experience with homebase. Can you prove what you ordered? i.e. do you have an order form/delivery note that shows electric rather than gas.

Tony