Is UFH to blame

roly

Jan 28, 2010
Hi I'm a new member .Thanks Tony for the welcome.
I was wondering if anybody had similar problems to myself concerning a new build.We had Polyplumb UFH installed in accordance with the Polyplumb installation manual, The screed was allowed to cure for at least 10 wks before tiling. When quoting for the tiling job the local tile firm I used said there would be no problems tiling with UHF.We moved in 14months ago and now we have quite a few tiles cracked and the tiling firm is now blaming the UHF even though they said originally it would be no problem,this firm also made a tiled panel for the bath which has since warped like a banana and again they are blaming the UFH.Also I have been having trouble with a dining table but fair does the local shop I had it from has replaced it twice but the table we have now has done exactly the same as the others, it has opened up 6mm gaps between the panels and now they are blaming UFH.Is it UFH thats to blame or is it bad workmanship and in the case of the oak table bad materials, any advice welcome.
Thanks Roly

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

What is UFH or is it UHF? Not sure why it affect tiling and an oak table!!!!

Did the tiling company install the tiles?

Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Right worked it out now from the Google Ads - under floor heating.

Assuming that the tiling company installed the floor and new about the underfloor heating they are liable under the Supply of Goods and Services Act

Under floor heating should not affect an oak table it is the standard method of heating in many countries, so the retailer needs to replace it again.

Tony

roly

Jan 28, 2010
Hi Tony
The tile firm who laid the tiles said there would be no problem with UFH as they would use a special flexible adhesive.The last time I spoke to them they said that if they had to come and relay the cracked tiles and redo the bath panel I would have to pay.I said I would get trading standards involved and the response was something like ''so what''.
Concerning the table the retailer has got me a replacement twice but because we have had this one since February09 the wholesaler has said that it is our problem not theirs.
Can you suggest any organisation who can help me with these problems
Roly

roly

Jan 28, 2010
Hi .
Have had a phone call from supplier this morning saying they are coming out next week to look at table, they also said they had been in touch with trading standards to see where they stood.They are still saying it is because of UFH and I got the impression that is all they are going to do, so I contacted Consumer Direct to ask what would be next step and got the answer that I should go to Citizens Advice Bureau, because I am in Staffordshire Consumer Direct could not pursue it any further.
Some use they are!
Roly

roly

Jan 28, 2010
Hi Tony
Have contacted TS at Staffs County Council and they say they are not pursuing consumer cases like mine ,They are now only getting involved in criminal cases.So they told me to contact CAB.So as far as Staffs C C Trading Standards are concerned consumers can get ripped of left right and centre.
Roly

roly

Jan 28, 2010
Hi all,
Retailer has collected table for repair and they say they have contacted Trading Standards and say that we are not entitled to a refund as they are fulfilling their obligations.Am not happy with this outcome as I think the table will do exactly same again,but as Staffs County Council Trading Standards are no longer dealing in disputes like mine, not l lot I can do.Have tried Citizens Advice but they never answer the phone or ring back.Assistant manager at retailers said we must have been letting grandchildren make cakes and getting water on table and then turn heating up to high! We have n't ,but what are tables for? Delivery man from retailer who came to collect said was probably the wood that had not been seasoned enough.Strange thing is that all the other oak furniture we had off this retailer is perfect so that should rule out heating causing the problem.Also retailer will not give me the name of the wholesaler or manufacturer for some reason, cannot understand that.
Any advice welcome as I'm at a loss what to do next.
Roly
PS. Perhaps ought to transfer this thread to furniture but don't know how to do that.
Roly

roly

Jan 28, 2010
I forgot to mention ,I can now understand the tiling firms response of ' so what' they must have known about Staffs County Council's Trading Standards policies!
Roly