Preowned 60GB Playstation 3 (YLOD)

Xeophonix

Jan 30, 2010
Manchester
Hi all,

I recently purchased a preowned 60GB PS3 from Gameplay for £170, that received the YLOD after just two days of receiving it. Also, the controller was faulty.

I contacted them immediately. They stated as it comes with a standard one year manufacturing warranty, I could have a replacement or refund. They had none in stock so I was left with the refund.

I was one of those people who had to settle for a 40GB PS3 (which is still going strong) back in December 2007 when the 60GB was phased out and stock ran dry, I renewed my search for a 60GB last year, as I will fully use all the additional features.

I contacted Sony, who asked for me to fax the sales invoice. A day later they called me to state that as it is preowned and out of warranty I would have to pay for the repair.

I know that under the Sale of Goods Act I can request a repair from the retailer, but wouldn't them offering a refund be seen as an amicable resolution? Do I have to take the refund?

Could I even push Sony for a free repair? is it hard to proof the inherent fault the 60GB seem to have given the widespread articles and topics on the matter, the media attention (watchdog). Sony themselves seem to spout on about the consoles 10 year lifespan yet many 60GB consoles can barely reach 3 years..

Thanks for reading!
Simon

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome to the forum,

The remedies under SoGA are repair, replace then refund - usually offered in that order. Normally, people complain as they want a refund rather than a repair. You can't force the retailer to do something that is uneconomical for them.

You don't have a contract with Sony, so no you can't really push them for a free repair.

If you really want the 60Gb you could ask Gameplay to pay for the repair with Sony or even to just pay towards it if you want to negotiate.

Tony

Xeophonix

Jan 30, 2010
Manchester
Thanks for your help Tony. A replacement came in stock, however after much consideration, I opted to just get a refund. I had shocking customer service from Gameplay with this matter too, so i'd rather have the money back in my pocket.