Trekplus outdoors shop, Jersey, GB

mgacourt

Jan 31, 2010
Hi,

I'd like to warn possible buyers about a couple of very bad experiences I have had with this "shop". Recently I went there to buy a Berghaus expedition rucksack. I bought the bag and after a couple of steps in the direction of the exit door I realised that I should have bought the largest size bag since Berghaus make 2 different size of this bag. The store refused to give me a refund because their policy is to give a voucher instead. I then went home with the voucher but made sure they understood I needed the bag within the next 6 weeks as I was going on holiday and needed the bag before then. I got an email message later from them saying the delivery date for the bag would 2 days before my departure. Seeing as this would mean my whole trip could possibly be jeopardised despite the long notice I gave them of nearly 6 weeks, I asked for a refund and they categorically refused. I finally got the bag not without a lot of emailing back and forth and stress about 3 weeks later.

Another bad experience happened to me this week that shows their level of contempt for customers and their abysmal grasp of customer service. I approached Asolo (now part of Alpine Lowe) to get hold of some high altitude boots for a trip I'm doing in Nepal in April. Being 6ft6, they wanted me to get my feet measured professionally by one of their dealers and asked if I could pop into that same shop to have this done. The lady at Alpine Lowe sent the shop an email advising them about this matter and asking them if they would kindly do this and then send or phone her the measurements. I was a regular customer of this shop despite the 1st incident and I naively thought this would not be a problem. The employees of the shop were helpful enough and measured my feet. But, then, the shop's "boss" came out and put on an act saying he did not understand what was asked of him either by the Alpine Lowe lady or myself despite clear explanations that were given to him. He eventually suggested I went to the UK and had the measurements done by the lady herself. Very helpful.

It is now clear to me, this rather small provincial shop has never dealt with any expedition before and completely fails to understand how a lot of what expeditions are about are meeting some tailor-made requirements and dealing with gear manufacturers direct.

I hope these two incidents will make people think twice about spending their hard-earned cash in that shop.

Thanks,

Mike.