New car not as expected

Pete

Jan 31, 2010
Yesterday I took delivery of a new car and soon realised that it was not quite what I thought I had ordered.
I already had a Ford on the Options scheme and decided to trade it in at the end of the three years for a new model. I visited my local Ford dealer who gave me a price on a new Fiesta stating that it came with free Bluetooth with voice control and USB connection (worth £200). I decided also to go to SMC at Sittingbourne and told them what my local dealer had offered me, they stated that they could match the deal within a couple of pounds and showed me a car in the showroom that I would have had except that it was the wrong colour. So I decided to think about it. A few days later I made a call to SMC and ordered the car in my preferred colour.
When I picked the car up yesterday I pointed out to the salesman that my car didn't appear to have a USB connection like the one in the showroom that I had been offered and he stated that to have that I would have had to pay extra as it was an option.
When I got home I realised that not only did it not have the USB connection, it didn't have the Bluetooth with voice control either.
I immediately contacted the sales manager and voiced my concerns. He launched an internal investigation and phoned me back that afternoon stating that I had been told by the salesman that my car would not have the option as some are built with it and some without. He also pointed out that the free option was not requested on the order form (which obviously I had not signed, as I ordered over the telephone).
I argued that I was never made aware that the option would not be available and requested either for the option to be installed into my car or for a replacement vehicle. He stated that the option could not be installed after manufacture and that they do not provide exchanges. He added that I may be able to get an aftermarket accessory that would be similar and undertook to give me a call back tomorrow after he had spoken to a diagnostic engineer.
Do I have a case under SOGA?
What are my options?
If I reject the car, will I get the old car back?
I have already sent an email to SMC's head office, should I also contact Ford or even Ford Finance?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Jan 31, 2010
Update

Yesterday morning (Monday) I received a call from SMC at Sittingbourne, they had been copied the email that I sent to head office. They were very keen to get the car sorted to my satisfaction whilst apparently still not accepting that it was their fault. The aftermarket system they offered to have fitted, although it was a very nice bit of kit, did not have the full functionality of the fitted Ford system. They said they were still consulting a diagnostic engineer on how to get the same spec and would call me back later in the day. I pointed out to them that I wasn't familiar with the system that they had suggested and reserved the right to reject the vehicle if I wasn't happy with it, I also quoted SOGA stating that the car should have been sold as described and threatened legal action if not fully satisfied.
That afternoon they rang me back and asked me what would make me happy, I said that obviously it would be to have a replacement vehicle or have the Ford system fitted but I understood that they weren't willing to go that far. They then said that they were willing to supply a new vehicle on 1st March exactly as I first wanted and on a '10' plate (the one I have is a '59')! TBH I was a bit taken aback and had to take five minutes to think. When I rang them back to accept the offer I was told that it was in their best interests to have a completely satisfied customer.
All in all, hats off to SMC at Sittingbourne, as although they did not admit their mistake, they were eventually willing to bend over backwards and accomodate me for the sake of customer satisfaction. When I get the post-sales questionnaire from Ford I will give them a big tick!