Plasma TV

temi

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
London
www.temi.co.uk
A friend bought a 24 inch plasma TV from a leading high street store a week ago, it stopped working 48 hours after he took it home.

I would have expected that it is replaced for him without any fuss, the store said they need to check it first to ensure the friend was not the cause of the damage to the TV and it will take them about a week to do this.

I would have expected a much higher level of service for a national chain of high street stores than that.

James

May 3, 2008
He should have bought an LCD as the power consumption is much lower and therefore the running costs. The blacks are not as good but they have improved tremendously.

Anyway, back to your question. Yes that is poor service, I guess it was Currys os Comet.

J.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This is resonable action by the retailer but it is not a shining example of great customer service. However, if the TV is taken away to be repaired he should be given a loan TV otherwise your friend will be inconvenienced and if they can't repair it he should be given a replacement.

mariacatena

Oct 9, 2008
Warning

I'm not surprised about the Plasma TV that stopped working soon after you bought it. I bought a PHILIPS 50" Plasma from Curry's it lasted 3 days lost all sound and i was left with just the picture. It was returned and the replacement which is now 4 months old "went on fire." Luckily i was in the room at the time. Curry's sent the tech guys out 5 days later to take it away for repair That was 9 days ago. I've been told it needs a full PDP Panel but it's out of stock and they don't know when it will come in. I was told by Steve at the head office when I complained that " a TV is not a necessity it is a luxury"
and I'm not entitled to a replacement tv while i wait on the repair.
I certainly wont be shopping at Curry's again or buy a philips product. BE WARNED

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This may be Steve's opinion - " a TV is not a necessity it is a luxury", but I would argue that this is contrary to the Sale of Goods Act section 48 - Sale of Goods Act 1979 (c. 54)

How many people does Steve know without a TV these days? How many TVs does Currys have? Surely they could lend you one for a few weeks?

(5)Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined by reference to—

(a)the nature of the goods, and

(b)the purpose for which the goods were acquired.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I still don't understand this obsession with HD and Plasma.

No matter what it is broadcast on, the television channels are still filled in the main with programmes of such mind numbing tedium, with a poverty of ideas, that I still maintain the best, and cheapest, television to watch them on. Is a broken one.

Now, invent a TV that had 24 hour Sopranos, Simpsons and will guarantee England winning the 2010 World Cup, and I'd be first in the queue, though maybe not at this high street retailier...

And the definition of television as a "luxury" is also very outdated. Nowadays many use the TV for shopping, games, the internet or even research. The television is a luxury in the same way a bath, computer, oven or toilet is nowadays. I wish I knew as much as Tony, being able to quote the relevant sections of various acts of parliament, however I fail dismally in that regard. However surely the least they can do is provide you with a replacement while yours is being fixed. That to me is just a case of appalling customer service.

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I still don't understand this obsession with HD and Plasma.

You need to see the Blue Planet on a HD TV set up correctly then you will understand. In general though content is more important than the quality of the picture. My kids were watching Laurel and Hardy in black and white the other day and absolutely loved it.

scrooge

Dec 2, 2008
i have to agree with earlier comments, plasmas are good but LCD are much more reliable.

saneuser

Dec 15, 2008
You need to see the Blue Planet on a HD TV set up correctly then you will understand. In general though content is more important than the quality of the picture. My kids were watching Laurel and Hardy in black and white the other day and absolutely loved it.
I've heard that LCD lasts longer than plasma (cost is an issue as well as contact!) - does anyone know if this is actually true?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Buying two new TV's soon.

This is an interesting thread to me, as we are moving soon and will be buying two new TV's, so that we can finally leave Sky TV behind us. I'm guessing from these comments that LCD is the type which would suit us.
Does anybody have any reservations about recommending that type though?

mick1

Jul 15, 2010
Re: Buying two new TV's soon.

I've had a Samsung 42" LCD for 4 years now with no problems at all fantastic buy - on the over hand I bought a LG 50" Plasma in April and last Saturday the screen cracked from side to the other. The only thing Currys want to do is repair it and refuse to replace the TV. Be careful were you purshase your TV from and check out the aftercare before you buy.