Faulty items from ebay international seller

kingie

Feb 5, 2010
Hi all, maybe you can give me some advice.

I bought 4 Nintendo DS Lites in October for Christmas presents from an ebay seller in Hong Kong - I can tell you are all cringing already :rolleyes:

They where listed as NEW, and I paid via paypal and they arrived in reasonable time. On arrival I checked them over, they all appeared ok, so I put them away for christmas.

Within days of opening them, 2 out of the 4 consoles developed faults on the touch screens. The touch screens continued to deterioate, and became so bad that they are completely unusable.

Obviously I emailed the seller, who has ignored all contact.
By this time, I am to late to file a claim either with ebay, or Paypal. I have emailed ebay but 10 days later am still awaiting a response. The seller is no longer a registered user.

I sent the faulty consoles of to be fixed by an independant repairs service. He confirmed my suspicions that the consoles where in actual fact re-furbs, and went ahead and fixed the screen on one. The other one had a broken motherboard and is not worth the cost of fixing. They were both returned to me, and within a few days, the repaired one started to develop the same screen problems as the motherboard one. I have emailed my repair chappy with the details, and its not good news :(

So I am left with 2 broken consoles, and no way to make a claim.
Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Thanks

perplexity

Mar 4, 2010
London UK
You could the seller, in theory, but the wisdom of that depends on the circumstance, because the success of civil action depends upon the civility of the person sued. If it''s an out and out crook he should rather be tracked down and locked up.

I would start by googling to see who in Honk Kong would know about the seller, and follow the trail from there.

perplexity

Mar 4, 2010
London UK
Make no mistake about it, eBay de-registers a member to protect eBay and Paypal, not to protect the buyers who lost out.

Their protection does not apply to breaches of the Acceptable Use Policy; to the contrary, the listings of de-registered sellers are more likely to vanish, completely, in which case you would not get so far as their usual dispute procedures to start with.

To get back at a dodgy seller you are on your own for all intents and purposes; just about the only thing to be absolutely relied upon with regard to eBay's protection being their determination to never report a suspicion of crime to the Police.