Delivered goods not match their description or quantity

MacWhat

Feb 7, 2010
At the end of last year, in order to beat the VAT rise, I ordered via the net an motherboard, CPU and memory upgrade package.

The seller, a recognised company, does not send a confirmation email.

The goods arrived on the 4th January but the motherboard was a grade lower than described, primarily no essential on-board firewire , and only 1Gb of memory supplied rather than the 2Gb.

I rejected by email the board as unfit for purpose and asked the company why these errors had occurred and how they intended to put them right.

I, also, checked and kept a copy of the relevant page on their site.

The email was receipted but I didn't seem to receive a reply.

Within 24 hours the web site had been altered to reflect the delivered goods.

A week later, I formally wrote to the company, using signed for.

Once again, that didn't seem to receive a reply.

However, I then checked my mail logs and found that two emails from the company had been dumped by Spam Haus.

I, then, emailed the company again and have now received a reply containing copies of those emails. (This reply surprisingly didn't register a score on Spam Haus)

The cost difference between the original description of the goods and the current description was under £30 which is why I thought it was a good offer and why I went for their upgrade package.

In the reply, the company says the description was a mistake and the only offer they make is either a full refund or a firewire board.

I wonder what my position is as not only have I received goods of inferior value and quantity but I've also suffered a loss on the VAT and interest on my credit card as well as the hassle of sorting their errors out.

Thoughts anyone.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The remedy they have offered seems reasonable to me. You can potentially sue for damages using the small claim court, but it is probably not worth the hassle.

Tony

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
Yes, you can pursue the matter in the law, but if it is under £500, you need to think about the stress of doing so.

There is a lot involved, and while you may win, the work can drive you crazy. Take more care, and source your suppliers more carefully...

perplexity

Mar 4, 2010
London UK
Cases like this often set out as if to end up in a court of law but are almost always settled, one way or another before it gets as far as that, which is to suggest that it is really a matter of the skill required to negotiate toward a better offer from the supplier if that is the desire.