Samsung S8000 from the Carphone Warehouse

andanotherthing

Feb 8, 2010
Hi,

I purchased a Samsung Jet S8000 from the Carphone Warehouse 7 or 8 days ago. I had a complaint about a patch on the screen and poor battery life (it ran flat overnight from a full charge, NO Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on!) so I took it back the day after purchase and I was given a new handset. I foolishly didn't inspect the display in the shop - I found the same issue when I got it home. It seems to be a build quality issue......I was told by the Carphone Warehouse that it was because the phone has an OLED display. Basically it looks like an oil slick - it's where the layers of the screen have slightly separated. So, I reckoned I'd live with the display problem - it's not a big problem afterall. I fully charged the phone as it says to do in the instructions. Surprise surprise, the new phone went flat within 24 hours. I'd sent maybe 2 or 3 text messages and made a 5 minute phone call. I persevered for a week, got fed up and took it back. I was told to turn off the 3G feature (rendering the phone unuseable for MMS etc). I told them I didn't want the phone/contract anymore and they said there was nothing they could do apart from give me a new battery. As this was the second phone that had poor battery life I was sceptical but said I'd give it a go. The new battery lasted less than 24 hours again. I would say this is not fit for purpose and they should take the phone back and cancel the contract. I don't have faith in the phone and I certainly don't have any faith in them! When asked what they could do if the problem wasn't solved they simply said that they could do nothing. Any suggestions anyone? Does this contravene my statutory rights?