Sony Vaio and warranty issues - should I use the small claims court?

RedGBarn

Feb 10, 2010
I would appreciate some advice regarding the best way to get a refund from Sony UK - at the moment I am concidering using the small claims court

In November I bought a Sony Vaio (£2,000 top of the range) directly from Sony UK off their UK website
I rang ahead before placing the order to explain that I needed next day on site warranty cover (as Dell) because it was a business PC
I was told exactly what warranty to order by the Sony staff
I ordered the laptop and warranty on the same order and paid for them at the same time

Within days of receiving the laptop in December I started reporting to Sony that it was faulty – after many software updates and complete refreshes I finally asked for Sony to send an engineer to address the faults (freezing up several times a day)
At this point they advised me that the warranty I had was not valid with the PC I bought and that they would only honour a return to base repair

My argument is that I ordered the warranty with the laptop and without the warranty the laptop is useless to me and not fit for the purpose I bought it for (and explained to Sony that I was buying it for)
I believe that Sony should either
• Send an engineer
• Or issue me with a full refund

Sony have told me clearly that they will only repair the laptop if I use their return to base service

I can’t get anywhere further with Sony and intend to pursue a claim through the small claims court – I would appreciate any views or experience anyone might have

Many thanks

Red

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
I know this sounds really crazy, but I would do what Sony says.

You can go through small claims etc. but the headache you would get would last far longer than the one you would receive by doing what they say.

Sony have massive infrastructure, and they will help in the end.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Sorry to hear you're having problems. I have only just been given one of these. No problems with it so far (touch wood) and I think they're lovely!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
What do the terms of the warranty say and why did they sell you a warranty that is not valid with your laptop.

I would ask to make a formal complaint and see what happens as they have really messed up.

Tony

bungee71

Mar 30, 2011
Hi.

You can county court summons Sony online, at a cost between £30 and £100
It will cost Sony more than your computer is worth, to fight in the county court.
Sony use a Law firm on Fleet street, they charge at least £400. per hour.
It is in Sony's intrest to come to a agreement with you out of Court.
Eu Law states they should give a 24 month warranty on goods, they are not being entirly honest with the UK consumer.