Problems with new cooker

Beachy

Feb 11, 2010
My elderly mother took delivery of a brand new cooker from an online retailer on the 7th of January. Unfortunately she has poor eyesight so I went round to check that everything was OK. I noticed straight away that the enamel on the cooker top was damaged, the side panel had a dent and the front panel had a defect in the finish as well.
I contacted the retailer who said that they would arrange for an engineer to visit to replace the faulty/damaged parts. Three weeks passed and my mother was not contacted. I then contacted the manufacturer's repair agent directly and arranged for an engineer to visit. The repair agent said that the retailer had not forwarded my mother's contact details to them!

The engineer has replaced the parts but the replacement cooker top has a defect in the enamel and the new front panel is marked. Also the control knob bezels have been marked presumably when the engineer removed them to fit the new top and there are some scratches in other areas that were not there before. I am not confident that the cooker can be repaired to a brand new standard in my mother's home.

Does my mother have the legal right to request a new replacement cooker from the manufacturer?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Beachy,

You need to give them the opportunity to repair it first. If they can't then you can ask for a new one.

Tony