Serious problems with a second hand car

danrspen

Feb 12, 2010
My girlfriend bought a car (2001 Ford Ka) at the start of November last year and has had a couple of MAJOR problems with it since.

Firstly she took it in to the garage about 3 weeks ago because a warning light for the breaks kept appearing on the dashboard. The garage told her the entire break system was about one decent journey from complete failure and she had to have the entire thing replaced at a cost of about £300. They also said the system must of been close to failing for a long time and should of been picked up in its last MOT.

Today her rear suspension collapsed while she was driving, obviously rendering the car unroadworthy. I believe the suspension must of been in a similar condition to the breaks.

She bought the car from a private seller but was told at the time of purchase that they'd checked the car and it was all in working order. Yes, she should of had the car checked out first but the seller was an acquaintance of her sister's so she naively simply took them at their word.

Does she have any recourse against the seller?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

It is quite an old car and this kind of thing can happen. When buying from private sellers the car only has to be as described and there is no requirement for it to be of satisfactory quality under the Sale of Goods Act.

So to answer your question. I am afraid she has no recourse.

Tony

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
Have to agree there...

It is hard, however, to use common sense and rationality when dealing with people who know you.

The only advice I can give here is to never buy from people you know, especially when there is a significant purchase involved.