Refund from a Charity Shop

Melissaur

Feb 13, 2010
My boyfriend and I bought a bed from a Charity Shop near us. We were informed that it was a new producted donated by MFI when they closed down and that was the reason why we couldn't get the bed for any less than £200. This was about 3/4 weeks ago.

When we got into bed one night about a week after we bought it, we heard the wooden panelling attached to the bed crack but thought nothing of it and tried to be careful by not leaning on the headboard etc, but my boyfriend went to take the bed apart today to superglue the cracks back together. This was when he realise that one of the plugs inserted into the bed head to hold the frame together is actually loose, so no matter how much we try screw it in securely, it will constantly be loose and continue to aggravate the cracks already in it.

Although we will feel terrible about asking for a full refund as it is for a good cause, £200 is alot as we are both students and we expected a sound product especially as it was new. We don't seem to have the receipt anymore, but if we were to take in an alternative proof of purchase, do we by law have a right to a full refund?

Help with this matter would be helpful! We could do with that money back asap!

Thanks!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

You have to give them the opportunity to fix it before you ask for your money back and you will need some kind of proof of purchase.

Tony

perplexity

Mar 4, 2010
London UK
Why not negotiate a partial refund?

A consumer is entitled to do so but if you are looking for a full refund that is tantamount to supposing that the goods were falsely described or substantially unfit for purpose, which would be not be so fair on the shop, if in no better position than the buyer, to anticipate an eventual misfortune.