Wireless Router

Paul B

Sep 18, 2008
Hi,
Last week my router broke so I duly went out and replaced it from my local small computer store. It's exactly the same as the last one which I had as a perfect working connection for 2 years. I configured it but right since buying it I've had intermittent connection problems, the signal strength dies every now and again and I've tried everything possible to rectify this, I even emailed the shop and tried out there suggestions but this intermittent fault persisted once or twice a day (on two laptops). I emailed them about this problem within 7 days of purchasing the router. On day 8 I tried to return it, asking for a full refund. This was refused and the guy in the shop said he had to 'test' to see if it's faulty. His testing involves sitting his laptop 1m away from the router and not using it at all but saying it is connected fine without issue, so therefore no refund. This seems completely unjust and his testing is not rigorous enough to ensure its in full working order. Can anyone suggest what course of action I should take in this matter as I'm currently 50 quid down without a working wireless router. I'm very frustrated Currently he said he'd test it with a greater range by putting his laptop in the basement but I'm still not convinced that this is at all fair.
Thanks for any advice
Paul

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 6, 2008
Hi Paul,

It does sound as if the item is faulty. In the first six months the shop has to prove that it is working fine rather than you prove that it is broken - a subtle difference. Tell the shop that the can test it as much as they like, but while they are doing this you would like a loan router. This will be of use.

One thought, is it configured the same way as the old one and on the same channel?

BTW You have a seven day cooling off under the distance selling regs Doorstep selling - Your right to cancel | Consumer Information not with things bought from a shop.

Paul B

Sep 18, 2008
thanks for the reply, is that from the sales of goods act 1994? I'd like to sound clued up next time I speak to him.

Initially I had it setup exactly the same which is where the issue surfaced so I asked a friend who works in networking and he suggested some things to try, all of which I did, then I emailed the shop and tried their suggestions all of which didn't solve the issue. I am 100% sure that my setup is fine and that the router is faulty.

I understand that they have to prove that it is fit for purpose but he will think that not having an issue proves this. Is there any way I can get this point through to him do you think?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Paul,

Yes it is from the Sale of Goods Act 1974

The fact that you are making the effort to complain, your friend has helped you with troubleshooting and the previous router was fine for two years should be enough.

Cheers,

Tony

BTW Do you have proof of purchase for the first router, as you would expect it to last longer than two years and this would also be covered by SoGA. The Sale of Goods Act provides protection for 6 years in England and Wales and 5 years in Scotland.

Paul B

Sep 18, 2008
Well his further 'testing' worked as it failed with everything he had when he took it home so I was refunded in full, I won't be buying from there again though!

Yeah I have a receipt for the previous router, the company has kindly offered to replace it due to the nature of the failure, i.e. they don't like the fact that there product started smelling of burning and letting out a small puff of smoke. I wonder why? :)

Thanks for your help
Paul

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Good effort, Paul...This is a great victory for consumers and show precisely why this forum, and others like it, is such a good thing...

Getting a satisfactory result is often just a case of a little bit of persistence, not taking "no" for an answer and having a bit of knowledge so that you don't get flannelled by unscrupulous sales staff.