What would happen if the stock market was abolished?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Genuine question - given the havoc that has been wreaked over the last few days due to short selling, and the more general uncertainty that is created by fluctuations in the stock market, I began to wonder what would be different if there was no such thing?

Please note I am not a closet Marxist trying to bring about the overthrow of society via the medium of internet forums. I'm just curious: what changes would we notice? How would life be different?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I guess you would have to ban the trading of stock as this would still happen whether the stock market was there or not - it just evolved to make the process easier. If that did happen the UK would dive into recession as the amount of cash this industry generates really drives our economy.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
After reading your comment, Tony, I was curious to see how much of UK GDP (Gross Domestic Product, basically a country's income) comes from the world finance sector, and according to this article in Finance Week, it is only 7-8%.

Finance overall makes up 30% of GDP but most of this is domestic activity.

TVDinner

Sep 28, 2008
The way the economy is currently set up and the way companies are currently valued, if the stock market was to be eliminated - the entire economic system would collapse. It would be choas and millions of people would be bankrupt, out of business, jobless, etc.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
After reading your comment, Tony, I was curious to see how much of UK GDP (Gross Domestic Product, basically a country's income) comes from the world finance sector, and according to this article in Finance Week, it is only 7-8%.

Finance overall makes up 30% of GDP but most of this is domestic activity.
I stand corrected, I think I was getting mixed up with finance in general and the service sector.

Tony