Conservatory installation

axlechaos

Feb 26, 2010
Hello everybody, I am up in Scotland and want to bring my situation to your attention. I am at present having a conservatory installed. There are 4 stage payments, and I have made 3 of them, amounting to 90% of the total cost.

There is a building warrant involved, which obliges the contractor to inform the local building inspector when works have begun (I had the contractor handle the whole job, including admin). However, the contractor has not conformed to building standards regarding several issues, and I fear the cost of righting the works is going to cost more than the 10% that is left.

The contractor was served with a notice from the building inspector that outlined the issues, and that was approx 6 months ago! The contrator has ignored my requests to complete the works.

I don't have a stick to beat him with, i.e. no legal recourse. I am not sure how far I can go with Trading Standards, and name and shame is an option. Apart from the building controls, the workmanship is at best dodgy - any advice would be appreciated!