Capital One Penalty Charges

Dawn09

Mar 2, 2010
I'm posting on behalf of an disabled, elderly friend of mine. She recently told me that she was recieving nuisance phone calls from Capital One with regards to charges incurred on her capital one card. her story is that in 2004 Capital One sent her a credit card without her consent and without her completing an application form (she insists this is correct). She subsequently filed the card away, forgot about it and binned any future "bumph" as junk mail. However at some stage Cap One are saying that a purchase was made which culminated, this penalty charges in a sum owing of £33. by Aug 09. In Sept 09 she forwarded a cheque for £30 (she misread the amount)a hoping they would leave her alone not thinking to request closure of the account, unfortunately this £3. balance has now with subsequent penalty charges and purchase interest rates increased to £67. to date. If what she says is true and I have no reason to doubt her I feel these charges are unreasonable to say the least and feel that this debt should be cancelled. I have been told she can request information regarding this alleged purchase as well as the "credit agreement" the company is supposed to possess with her signature on. I would like to help in this case because she is adamant that she does not owe them anything but is also frightened they will call in debt collectors which was mentioned in their latest letter. Does anyone know if she has any redress regarding this matter or is she obliged to pay the sum outstanding regardless?