Wii updated by Nintendo over Wiinternet and now will not work :/

polly.1985

Mar 16, 2010
Hi all,

I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction regarding my rights over an error on my Nintendo Wii that has arisen since it updated itself after connecting to Wii online.

My Wii is just over 2 years old and I have never had any issues with it, ever. It is as it was when I bought it - it is not chipped and has never been opened.

After seeing the adverts over Christmas/New Year about the Wii internet, BBC iPlayer etc I decided to finally connect it to the internet. I did this following instructions from the Nintendo website. All went smoothly, and I now had wireless internet on my Wii. I stayed online for about 10 minutes, during which time a prompt from Nintendo appeared telling me that I needed to update the software. I accepted the prompt and it went ahead and updated itself.

Big, big mistake. Ever since then, I turn it on and I get the message 'System files corrupt. Please refer to the Wii operating manual for help troubleshooting.'

There is nothing in the manual covering this, so I researched online. I discovered that there has been a spate of other Wii users with the same issue, and it is down to the update not being sent through in a complete form.

I contacted Nintendo direct to find out what I could do about it - and they have advised that I send it off for repair, but as it is outside of the 1 year warranty I will be charged. In most cases I would expect this, but as it seems to be their update that has caused it surely they should fix it?

I also know of the Sale of Goods Act that a product can be reasonably expected to have a life of six years - not necessarily something that is used regularly - but how would a faulty update from the manufacturer fit into this? I'm trying to respond to their email and want it to be correct before I send it and look foolish.

I know that I'm in the right here. Thanks in advance for any constructive bits that I could put into my email :)