SH car from dealer - faulty in first week(urgent)

masisu

Mar 18, 2010
hi
I've bought my rover 214(1999 reg - 57000miles) 2 weeks ago for £1000 from a local dealer.
The car was advertised on autotrader and dealer's site.
Found out next day after purchase that the car is not exactly as in advert: no electric mirrors, no height adjustable drivers seat, boot can be opened only separately with key.
Battery 2 days after purchase was flat - dealer paid over phone, and i went to pick it from the shop.
Found out after 5-6 days that car has no oil in engine, with a friends help, he put 2litres of oil in, after 2 days i've discovered engine is empty again, and is leakin on right side(when try pouring oil in). Same friend showed me there is leak from steering oils jar, and leak from exhaust exctly between driver and passenger seats, and lot of water going out from exhaust at rear end; when he tried to drive my car ive noticed that there is no light for reverse and brake light only for right side is working. Another thing will be that when i wanted to put some air in wheels, ive found out that my spare wheel is flat, with a big nail in it.
Ive called dealer and told him what is happening and that i am not happy about the car and would like a refund.
He said he sales cars for over 22 years and never had returns and wont start now; he mention i should come to garage because this is just a simple problem.
Called me at garage at begining of this week, then changed it on 17th march(today), when called m in the morning he said he has some problems, and better bring it on monday.
I would like to have money back and look for another car, can someone please advise me what can i do (with possible steps)?
PS: the car has warranty 3 mths, but im not satisfied with this and would like to return the car, mostly because i cant trust anymore this person, who keep delaying the job.
English is not my first language and i apologize if my writing isnt very good.

masisu

Mar 18, 2010
hi again
I am sorry if i go break the rules of site by posting twice, but i hve forgot to mention something: the car was mot'd 1 month before the purchase, so i am wondering and asked the seller too how did the car pass it considering the faults ive mentioned up? His answers was- the car had been mot'd at 1 of the most severe mot's inspection centres(in plymouth).
thank you to all of you and i can wait for your answers and opinion.

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
Hi Masiu

Unfortunately the law states that you must give the car dealer the opportunity to fix the car if thats what they want. If they try to fix the car a few times and its still broken then you can formally request a refund. I found some imteresting info on this Government Website.

masisu

Mar 18, 2010
thank you
yesterday 20th of march, tried to start the car, and didnt even start. Called the dealer on mobile, and he didnt answer, not even after 24 hours. I cant call AA, due to fact that my car is front of my house.
I asked a neighbour and said it could be cambelt, and wwhen he saw the leaking of oil said this is really bad.
Do you think its normal that a dealer car in first 2 weeks after buying to have so many faults? I dont. I have decided to go trading standards and citizen advice bureau - i wont accept to pay money for garbage.

EmmaLouise55

Jan 29, 2014
I saw one of their cars on eBay, we exchanged emails about this car and they told me they would give me £500 for my Peugeot PX, I called to arrange the viewing and while on phone to them I asked if they would like to see the Peugeot the same day and his words were "no we don't need to see the car we will pay £500 for it"
So I went on the Sunday to view the car, I paid a £200 deposit and got a receipt saying £200 deposit, £1650 left to pay and £500 PX, I signed this and so did they! I arranged to go back to collect it on Wednesday instead of Saturday..
I went back today (Wednesday) to collect the car and pay the outstanding balance.. To which they said no were not happy we want another £300 cash
Not to mention they say all of their cars are hpi checked! I done my own hpi check on this car and it said "outstanding finance" they never told me this!
Stay away from these cowboys they are rude, unwelcoming, liars and they will tell you anything to take your money!

iluvali

Feb 22, 2014
thank you
yesterday 20th of march, tried to start the car, and didnt even start. Called the dealer on mobile, and he didnt answer, not even after 24 hours. I cant call AA, due to fact that my car is front of my house.
I asked a neighbour and said it could be cambelt, and wwhen he saw the leaking of oil said this is really bad.
Do you think its normal that a dealer car in first 2 weeks after buying to have so many faults? I dont. I have decided to go trading standards and citizen advice bureau - i wont accept to pay money for garbage.
By law if faults appear straight away,or within 1 month,you can reject the goods and demand a full refund,simple as.
I have just done this on a car bought for my daughter which had 13 active faults.
I wrote to them under Sale Of Goods Act 1979 :)

Sammy80

Mar 26, 2014
I bought my car from a private seller on autotrader and didn't have any problems but a friend of mine tried to buy a car on eBay and got completely ripped off. These days I'd rather get a car through a trusted well known dealer, it just often ends up being more expensive.

Hiya All. I hope my error of judgement will guide others in the future
After being the victim of a road traffic accident in October 2013, I found myself without a car. So faced with the daunting prospects of travelling around looking at rust buckets, On a recommendation, I employed the services of Roger Green The car finder. If the impressive write up is to be believed, Roger Green takes all the stress out of searching for and buying cars.
Unique and personalised used car finding service reducing risk, saving time and saving money. I am 'The Car Finder'. 4N Area Leader & National Leader MIHM
Bristol • thecarfinder.biz

As promised he searched the U.K for cars, and sent back a list with one in particular, one he had marked as recommended. This is what happened next. I transferred the money to a bank account that Roger keeps separate, until he checks the car out, and when satisfied pays the seller with my money. He then brought the car back to a garage in Nailsea North Somerset, where it was checked over by a garage. On viewing the car for the first time, I was none to impressed, the carpets were soaked from front to back, the rain was running in through the dash board, and to top it all, after pulling back the carpets, I actually pushed my fingers through the floor, lovely seats eh said Roger, trying to distract me from making a note of all the defects, Asking where is the indicator lens, and all the fittings, Roger informed me it fell off on the drive back to Nailsea. It was at this point I should have said I want my money back, but as Roger said he would get the welding done, and all the other things I pulled up. I also realised I was in a very tricky situation, as I started to realise I had made a massive mistake trusting him. He had spent my money, and the prospects of seeing it back looked grim, as I concluded he was just a cheap little car dealer. One little thing said Roger, the brakes discs and pads will need changing in around 2000 miles. I told Roger before I take position of the car; I will have it MOT’ed at the garage that was to carry out the welding, just for peace of mind. After all, cant be much wrong with a car that had passed a MOT a few days prior? On hearing this, Roger sent a rather panicky Email trying to put me off
The results were staggering; the car was in fact a death trap. The Mot examiner had run out of space to report all the failures, (including dangerous brakes) The Advisories ran into two pages. (All this 2 days after one of Rogers’s car safety checks). After lots of promises, Roger Green has failed to pay all my money back. And therefore I decided, to add my name to all the many other customers, who have also been ripped off, and have taken him to court, in the vain hope they may see some of their hard earned cash back.
A journalist acquaintance, look into the whole matter of how a car can pass Roger Greens safety checks one day, and become a death trap the next. A statement from the garage that inspected the car on Roger Greens behalf Roger claimed, Roger was informed of the car condition, and a list of faults was passed on to him. Further investigation revealed, Roger took advise from a Mechanic prior to buying the car, (due to his lack of mechanical knowledge) and he was told ‘’ don’t buy the car leave it alone ’’
Both the Garages and the mechanic in Nailsea, that were involved with this car, acted in a very professional way and were very helpful when approached
We have all the statements, and relevant information to back up this claim. Regardless of his impressive profile on the web. Beware this man is a liar and a fraud ‘’

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
Drystonewaller,

I believe you now have a Nissan Terrano with which you are very happy? If this man still has your money, don't stop at getting a CCJ, but get it enforced by HCEO's as they are by far the most likely to get your money back, and it will only cost you £60 if they fail to recover anything.

Thanks for that. I have look into this course of action at a later date. I had a letter from the court, informing me he is contesting the action ? He can only be using it as a delaying tactic. In my current position, i am now fortunate to get by with out the money owed, I feel sorry for those that trust scum dealers. and lose money they can ill afford to lose, therefore i intend to make an example of this dealer.

KimE

Nov 4, 2014
Hi

My name is Kim, I work on a daytime show at ITV, ‘Judge Rinder’. I’ve just come across you case on here and thought the programme may be of interest to you.

ITV are looking for people who would like to settle their disputes or claims in the second series of court show Judge Rinder.

If you are interested then send me an e-mail at kimberley.enson@itv.com with a brief description, or you can call me on 0161 952 0961

We look forward to hearing your case!

Many thanks, Kim