One in every 50 £1 coins a forgery...

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
This made me wonder...

Forgers are quids in as number of fake £1 coins doubles

If this figure is accurate then I am guessing that parking metres, arcade machines and vending machines, must be full of them.

And is it just me, but instead of the prolonged "checks" advocated on the website, isn't it easier to spot a fake if you can peel the foil cover off and eat the chocolate underneath?

I think money will soon become obsolete anyway, we will all pay using our fingerprints, retinal scans and DNA profile, which will be linked to our current accounts. And if you can't afford it, you will be administered an electric shock in a radical new proposal to try and put people off going into debt...

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I read about this a while back the newsreader said that police had seized a million fake one pound coins worth a million pounds - made me laugh.

Actually, vending machines are so sensitive these days that they are actually the best way to detect them.

Tony

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Ways to spot the forgeries include: Faded colour, incorrect font, off-centre engravings and poorly defined rim. I shall bear this in mind the next time I'm given my change.

Your theory is very '1984', yet I'm inclined to agree - although DNA profiling and electric shock treatment to deter debt is a little too far-fetched. :) A few years back, the Major of London proposed an expansion of the Oyster Card system. Under these plans, you could not only get on a bus or a tube train, but also buy your morning paper, your lunch, and dinner at a swanky restaurant. How utterly ridiculous.