ADVICE PLEASE/Scam or not?

khooper28

Mar 24, 2010
Hi, I am a newbie so please bear with me.
I have just had a phone call from a firm who have said that I have won a runners up prize of a week in an apartment self catering. they are called:Apartments For Leisure. He said I had entered a competition back in Dec/Jan and have a prize though not the first prize. I am to be forwarded all the info via E-mail tonight and he is to call me back tomorrow evening . All they ask is for 48 euros ( I cannot remember why) but surely if I won a prize then should I have to pay anything. plus we have to get ourselves to the complex and back again and he was sending the link for SkyScanner for flights etc.
Obviously I am nervous of giving money to people I dont know, especially as someone has got into a vodaphone account of mine and taken an upgrade from it. Anyway, I hope someone can help me know as to whether this company is legitimite.

All help gratefully received, Thanks.

Rich

Mar 26, 2010
Hi I am a newbie too and just signed up when I saw your message.

This company rang me and said I had won a runners up prize too. It was from an Andrex competition which I did enter so I rang Andrex up and they confirmed that they are working with Apartments for Leisure and it is a genuine offer.

I've booked with them to go to Marbella!

Hope this helps.

michael

Sep 21, 2008
The only genuine thing about the offer is to part you and your money. Get a very long bargepole.

Rich

Mar 26, 2010
Michael, do you think that Andrex would work alongside scammers?
There are a lot of dodgy companies out there but I fail to see how this isn't genuine when I have had confirmation from Andrex themselves that this is ok.
:confused:

homara

Sep 4, 2009
K hooper...I don't believe one gets something for nothing. There HAS to be some gain here for the Leisure Co and (if its true) for Andrex as well. I've been hoodwinked, a long time ago, with something very similar and I believe you may well be about to be hoodwinked too. Lets face it, what's in it for yourself...you're being asked to pay the Company 48 euros, you've got to pay your own flight costs, transfer costs and food/drinks (probably bought in this Companies complex of shops, restaurants, bars etc). All you've actually 'won' is the use of their apartment. Whoopee! What a prize! Once you're comfortably settled in this apartment, there may well be a knock on the door and the Company's not so nice Rep might introduce himself...and then the pressure begins! The weeks holiday may then be spent trying to hide from this wretch, his behaviour becoming more and more unpleasant by the day. Believe me, I've been there! Additionally, even if this Company have associated themselves with Andrex in some small way it doesn't guarantee you a holiday free of problems. . The Company may well have offered Andrex financial incentives, Andrex may well have been provided with a nice glossy image of the Company. None of this, however, guarantees you the wonderful prize you thought you were getting!

I wouldn't part with a penny. You'd be advised not to expose yourself to risk. In my opinion, you'd be far better off booking a package holiday on your terms, not theirs. Have they provided you with and have you read all the small print associated with this 'prize' BEFORE you make your decision and send the 48 euros? If not, I'd advise you to do so. Proceed with caution. Good luck!

michael

Sep 21, 2008
Michael, do you think that Andrex would work alongside scammers?
There are a lot of dodgy companies out there but I fail to see how this isn't genuine when I have had confirmation from Andrex themselves that this is ok.
:confused:
I do not believe Andrex would run a competition which obliged 'winners' to pay a registration fee, flights, transfers etc in order to claim the prize. More likely is you work for Apartments for Leisure and I stand by my previous post and wholeheartedly agree with Homara

Khooper28, I suggest you ring Kimberly Clark for yourself:

Brand or product questions:
Phone: 0800 626 008

General enquiries:
Phone: 01732 594000

Rich

Mar 26, 2010
Ha ha! Michael, I DON'T work for Apartments for Leisure!!
I hope khooper28 does ring Andrex!

I am unable to post links on here so please google 'Andrex apartments for leisure' for yourself and you will see proof that Andrex are indeed associated with this company. The second result listed is the competition I entered and probably the same one as khooper28 is talking about. The top result is a competition Andrex are currently running with Apartments for Leisure.

homara, you talk a lot of sense and I understand what you are saying.
When I was originally phoned I thought it was a scam and told the guy I wanted to think about it and he said he would ring me again in a couple of days. During this time I researched the company and the resort.
I rang Andrex on the same phone number kindly given by Michael below and checked the resort in Trip Advisor and all looked good. The company requested an 'admin fee' only. Flights, car hire etc. is booked independently by the customer.

I fully agree that it isn't really a prize if you have to pay something and I'm sure that EVERYONE who entered that competition received a phone call telling them they'd won a 'runners up prize' but we were looking to go on holiday and this is still a good deal. After paying out the £40ish per person 'admin fee' I have booked my flights and car hire online for £400 which for a family of 4 is not too bad at all.

I believe everyone is absolutely right to be cautious and I'm normally ultra-cautious so I'm really hoping this isn't a scam because I feel that I've properly checked this out and it all appears legit.

homara

Sep 4, 2009
Rich...good luck with your pending hols. I sincerely hope you don't get the same pressure (almost bordering on harrassment) that I got when I accepted a 'prize' apartment holiday a few years ago. Although the company concerned was cleverly operating within the law, it was the unpleasant reps at the resort that made life hell. They worked for a pitiful basic salary and so had to pressurise clients in order to achieve their targets and commision. Their aim? To get us to sign up for time-share or similar. Their unpleasant behaviour started within hours of arrival at resort and didn't stop until the morning we left! I'm fully aware there must be some reputable companies out there who have no intention of pressurising their 'prize winners.' Apartments for Leisure may well be one of these companies, but I still object to the somewhat underhand marketing techniques used by them.

You've obviously done as much homework as you can on this company, but of equal importance in my opinion is that you've entered this contract with your eyes wide open. You know full well that its not really a prize of any kind! Would love to get some feedback upon your return. Sincerely hope that you have a great time and that you're left in peace to chill out with the family :)

Rich

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks homara, I'll let you know how I get on.
I asked if it was anything to do with timeshare when they originally phoned me and the guy said that part of the resort are timeshare but most of the it is regular holiday bookings.
I said that if it is timeshare then they shouldn't bother with me as my kids wouldn't sit through any presentation. He said that there won't be any presentation - it is not timeshare.

In the meantime I have emailed the resort directly to confirm my reservation and they have replied and confirmed all ok.
Fingers crossed! :)

jamieb

Apr 12, 2010
Not a scam!!

I've just retured from an Apartments for Leisure holiday in Marbella. It wasn't with Andrex but from Coinks points off a box of Kelloggs cornflakes. A lovely holiday with a wonderful apartment and I didn't experience any timeshare or sales pressure, but do be warned that when you book they take payment for the holiday in euros so check currency fees etc with your bank beforehand.
Highly recommended :)

homara

Sep 4, 2009
Re: Not a scam!!

Hi Jamieb...glad to hear you've had a great time on your hols and that you didn't experience the unpleasant problems I did. Rich will undoubtedly be reassured by your post, which is great.

Whilst I acknowledge that there are legitimate companies out there, I remain of the opinion that one needs to be extremely careful when responding to these so-called 'prizes'. At best, pound for pound, they're hardly a jackpot! I suspect the companies benefit far more than the 'prize-winner'. After all, it must be wonderful having a steady stream of people sending in 48 euros a time and then going on to spend money in their complex. Far better than empty apartments and empty complex! At worst, there are many people like myself who have been well and truly duped. I would still advise anyone who has 'won' a 'prize holiday' to thoroughly check the legitimacy of the company and read every word of the small print terms and conditions etc before parting with a penny. Additionally, it makes sense to view this 'prize'for what it really is...a clever marketing tactic and income generator for the companies involved, whether that be Apartments for Leisure, Andrex, Kellogs etc

Regards, H. E.

jamieb

Apr 12, 2010
I agree H.E. - and I'm sorry to hear that you were scammed and had a bad experience. I'm a savvi shopper when it comes to holidays and you're right; one should definately research and find out as much as possible before spending such a lot of money. I have known people that work for agencies that promote less honest companies and they are out there to get you! But I'm happy to say that in my experience Apartments for Leisure are not one of them.

Addition: I forgot to say, the holiday I purchased wasn't sold to me as a prize; this is something I would have been skeptical about. I booked my holiday from the following webpage kelloggs-coinks. co. uk/ display_offer/ 147/ It looks as though the special offer that I went for has finished now unfortunately.

Last edited:

Rich

Mar 26, 2010
Phew! Thanks jamieb, that's what I wanted to hear.
The promotion I have gone for is also with Coinks but through Andrex. andrexpuppypoints.co.uk/competitions/14/detail/
Glad all went well, I'm REALLY looking forward to the holiday now!
:D

Rich

Mar 26, 2010
Hi, I just thought I'd give everyone an update. I went on my 'prize winning' holiday to the Alanda Club in Marbella with Apartments for Leisure a couple of weeks ago and all was fine. I got a phone call in our apartment after 4 days from a rep who said would we like to come to a welcome meeting and that we had a free gift waiting for us. I said thanks but no thanks, we are on a family holiday and have no intention of buying a timeshare. The rep said ok that's fine, have a great holiday. That was it! No pressure at all!

If anyone else gets offered this holiday through a Coinks competition it really is a genuine deal and definitely worth having.