Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Builders For general building work or new build property.

Old 29th August 2011, 12:10 AM
Consumer Newbie

nixon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you the victim of bad builders?

looks like wev been ripped off worse then before as most of the work is done wrong , hope i can find away out , have insurance but dont know if im coverd if not im trully stuffed
Old 29th August 2011, 12:14 AM
Consumer Newbie

nixon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickygj View Post
how much money does he owe you?
looking at the damage about £5000 but that a rough guess will find out when we get another builder round :
Old 29th August 2011, 01:59 AM

trickygj is an unknown quantity at this point

If not more than £5000 you can refer to small calims court. Before you do anything like that there are things you need to do first. Is the builder a limited company? How do know most of the work is wrong?
Old 29th August 2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
have insurance but dont know if im coverd
Your house insurance won't cover you for bad building work. Is this the tpe of insurance you are talking about?
Old 14th April 2012, 07:38 PM
Consumer Newbie

chelsea is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to name and shame a builder who took £24,000 and left our house in a state of dispair.I did contact a local solicitor but this method is going to cost alot of money in legal fees.The builders name is Martin heap builders from Thornton/Cleveleys near to blackpool.
Has anyone else been a victim of this cowboy builder
Old 15th April 2012, 10:16 AM

chelsea

Hi there.

I am not opposed to naming bad companies but I think in order to justify your post you should include a bit more detail or this forum becomes a board where people 'name and shame' for the wrong reasons.

It will also help in others more.
Comments are provided in good faith. If in doubt obtain the advice of a solicitor. Please visit www.richardgjohnson.co.uk If you think this advice is helpful please feel free to click the thanks button.
Old 16th April 2012, 03:28 PM
Consumer Newbie

slimseydy is an unknown quantity at this point

hello
I recently had my roof re tiled,part of the deal was all gutters,soffits,facias,down pipes etc,
I paid cash & do have a reciept for the work,but while I was on a late shift 10 days ago he said he would be finished that day ,he finished around 7pm & i had the money in the house & the wife paid him,
unfortunately & I am kicking myself ,I never held money back till I inspected all the work,hence there is about 5 jobs that need completing including down pipes ,I have missing gutters on my facias ,beading needs sorting as there are big gaps everywere when you look up.there is even a hammer hanging of the gutter on top of my conservatory & if that falls its coming straight through the roof.builder won't answer the phone to me or reply any text messages ,been to his home through his website address & it does not exist,his business premises is a big house converted into flates,I have found another address on the receipt & I am going to wait till after 5pm & knock round tonight which may be heated ,all I wanted was a complete job for the money ,was that such a big ask ???
any tips on what I should do if or if I dont get hold of him most grateful,
Thanks.
Old 16th April 2012, 04:03 PM

slimseydy

Firstly and you are not going to like this, but a lesson for everyone who is reading this.

There is NO reason why a builder needs to be paid cash over cheque or even credit card if they take it. One good reason is that cash does not act like a receipt and cant be traced. A cheque can. The receipt he gave you, as you have found out, is not worth the paper it is written on. Any ten year old can make a letter head and receipt on a computer. In short, it looks like you have been scammed and may well have no way to redress the situation. Even the mobile phone number could be a pay as you go untraceable number.

Now in respect of your problem, unless you can trace the guy you might as well forget it and start again using a reputable company. If you can find the guy you need to write to him and let him know that unless he returns and rectifies/finishes the work you will start a claim in the small claims section of the county court.

In effect it might also be a case of fraud. I would also contact trading standards and possibly the police but again paying cash, you will have to prove certain things. If you did not have a contract to start with it is messy.

Where on earth did you find this guy?

Also, I assume he is not a limited company. If he is i can check him out. If he is not then chances are if he does this to you, he also swindles the state and doesn't pay tax etc. so no way of finding him as such. maybe it would be a start to name him and his details in case anyone else has come across him.

Sorry for being blunt, but I deal with this all day long and I am a bit hardened to it.
Comments are provided in good faith. If in doubt obtain the advice of a solicitor. Please visit www.richardgjohnson.co.uk If you think this advice is helpful please feel free to click the thanks button.
Old 16th April 2012, 04:20 PM
Consumer Newbie

slimseydy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply
I found him in yell.com under roofers
web site looked all the business,
roofing section,building section etc & was local which I try to adopt as giving my money to local firms ,but will think again in future,I paid cash as I did not know any better,my last building job was a conservatory & every trader that come in & done there bit was paid in stages so thought it was the norm
Builder by the way is
T-Dan Roofing Liverpool
Old 16th April 2012, 04:31 PM

slimseydy

Just had a look at the website and the guy takes credit card?

The comapny is limited is appears. I can help outside this forum if you require. If you want you can contact me below.

regards

Tags
bbc, builders from hell, homes from hell, nightmare builders