Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Builders For general building work or new build property.

Old 14th September 2014, 09:30 PM
Consumer Newbie

Big H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cowboy builder help advice needed!

I agreed a job after having had a quotation that included a ten insurance backed guarantee. The job ( new garden walls and a Tarmac drive) took three more weeks than quoted and I had many issues that a had to pull the builder up on during the build including walls out of plumb etc etc. Anyway job was finally completed to a just acceptable standard and he immediately wanted all the balance.( I had already covered all materials and more). Anyway I withheld 20% of the total and told him once I had the insurance policy covering the guarantee then I would pay the balance. Turns out he had done neighbours drives with the same promise of a 10 year insurance backed guarantee which they never got after paying in full. The builder has tried to obtain the insurance cover due to the outstanding balance after the event but I've only had a document through offering 2years which I have refused to accept. He is now threatening to rip my drive up and knock down my walls. Am I being unreasonable and can he do this legally , do I stand my ground. I feel he is getting work due to offering this type of guarantee and don't feel it's fair on other reputable builders... Thoughts please guys ???
Old 5th November 2014, 11:55 AM
Consumer

KimE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cowboy builder help advice needed!

Hi

My name is Kim, I work on a daytime show at ITV, ‘Judge Rinder’. I’ve just come across you case on here and thought the programme may be of interest to you.

ITV are looking for people who would like to settle their disputes or claims in the second series of court show Judge Rinder.

If you are interested then please send me an e-mail at kimberley.enson@itv.com with a brief description, or you can call me on 0161 952 0961

We look forward to hearing your case!

Many thanks, Kim