Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Consumer News News items of interest to UK consumers.

Old 7th April 2013, 10:20 AM
Consumer Newbie

123-gemmab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thompson airways charged me twice nothing i can do?

Hiya guys!
Hi have a problem and it's very frustrating!
I went on Holliday at the begging of February I purchased 400 fags on the plane on the flight back, everything was fine until I checked my bank statement when it arrived in the middle of march! Looking through it I realised that the transaction has only came out twice!!! I have been charged 43.50 twice!! So I have the proof on my bank statement the money has came out of the 25th of march! I arrived back in the UK on the 22nd of February! So I went to the bank they printed me out my bank statement, I then went next door as its Thompson travel agents! They are now telling me that they can do nothing as I don't have the original plane receipt for the goods that I brought? So it's my problem as I don't have it? Is there anything else I can do? As 43.50 is a lot of money for them to gain as it is there mistake.
Can anyone help me further?
Many thanks
Gemma
Old 7th April 2013, 10:23 AM
Consumer Newbie

MsR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thompson airways charged me twice nothing i can do?

Hi - you mean Thomson?! Not got an answer, sorry to say, but have you called 'Consumer Direct'? You could well be covered as pretty sure they are under the bodies of ATOL and / or ABTA
Old 7th April 2013, 10:25 AM
Consumer Newbie

Yes that's who I meant *Thomson* no I haven't rang them, but I will give them a try. Thank you for your reply
Old 7th April 2013, 12:03 PM
Consumer Newbie

Good luck Gemma, however, Consumer Direct only open weekdays. They do often refer on to Trading Standards; however, the reality is that Trading Standards have had a huge amount of staff 'cuts'. But hopefully CD can advise you anyway. You will get a 'case number' for future reference. Good luck
Old 7th April 2013, 02:07 PM

Witch consumer is on a distinguished road

Sorry but Consumer Direct no longer exist, CAB are now dealing with consumer issues.

The receipt wouldnt really help because it wouldnt show that you didn't make 2 seperate purchases.

They need to look ar their stock and takings for that day on that particular flight, if they are unable to prove you didn't make 2 purchases, they would have to refund you, although you may have to make some effort to get your money back by threatening the SCC.

Did you not have to enter your pin number for the purchases, if you only did so once, the other would have to be through as cardholder not present which would prove you didnt make the purchase.
Old 7th April 2013, 02:37 PM
Consumer Newbie

Hiya yes I did have to put my PIN number in and I only done it once, this is so frustrating isn't it
Old 7th April 2013, 03:38 PM

Witch consumer is on a distinguished road

Yes I imagine it is but ultimately they will have to prove you authorised both payments, don't give up, keep in touch and we'll advise you of the next steps. Worth enquiring with the bank re how and when the second transaction was carried out.
Old 7th April 2013, 04:22 PM
Consumer Newbie

Smile Re: Thompson airways charged me twice nothing i can do?

So sorry 'Witch Consumer'! I meant to correct this immediately! Yes, of course, I have used them. It is, indeed, now Citizens Advice!
Old 7th April 2013, 04:50 PM
Consumer Newbie

The bank have told me that both transactions come out at the same time on the same day, I will be contacting citizen advice thank you everyone for your help.